Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a Mac Pro, circa 2009. It’s next to the modem and is hard wired. There are two Ethernet ports on the back of the Mac Pro.

I also have a 2019 Mac mini further away.

if I plug in an Ethernet chord into port number 2 on the pro and connect it to the mini. Will the mini have access to the internet? I’d like to ask before investing in a chord.

thanks

·
Registered
727 Posts
Not without some work. Would need to enable internet sharing in the system settings under sharing on the mini. Select ethernet and follow configuration setup. Youtube has some videos. "Turn mac into router".

·
Super Moderator
44 Posts
If you are going to run Ethernet cable between the two, why not just run that cable to the router? Most routers have multiple Ethernet connections. It would be easier than messing around with the network sharing.

·
Premium Member
16,021 Posts
If you are going to run Ethernet cable between the two, why not just run that cable to the router? Most routers have multiple Ethernet connections. It would be easier than messing around with the network sharing.

+1. Ditto.

Unless there might be some special reason that the two ethernet ports could be utilized for, assuming a simple setup would be available. 😏

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not without some work. Would need to enable internet sharing in the system settings under sharing on the mini. Select ethernet and follow configuration setup. Youtube has some videos. "Turn mac into router".
Out of space on router...all ports being used. I'd rather not plug in an extender if I can avoid it.

·
Premium Member
16,021 Posts
Out of space on router...all ports being used. I'd rather not plug in an extender if I can avoid it.
You could always just use a plain cheap dumb switch, you wouldn't need another router.

Nice and simple to set up, just plug in the devices in the cable. Depending on the dumb switch you may need to use a crossover cable from your router if it doesn't have the appropriate input port.

Don't forget that if you do end up using the Mac Pro and its extra ethernet port, the Mac Pro must always be on and running for the ethernet to work properly.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't forget that if you do end up using the Mac Pro and its extra ethernet port, the Mac Pro must always be on and running for the ethernet to work properly.

- Patrick
=======
ahh...ok...I was afraid of that. I'm not interested in that. I like my machines to sleep as much as they can. Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look into a dumb switch. I think I might have something in old box of cables and switches

1 - 7 of 7 Posts