1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Hmmm... As much I think that lo res usage will dominate in every day use of a camera - theo dd time will come where you might want something more hi res. I think that although a little bit more expensive, if you're looking for size and expandibility and quality (from past hardware), I think that the Sony DSCU20 is fresh. And they are small. A friend of mione just got one. whoa... They also have a 1.0 MegaPix, DSCU10 is you can find one - they have discontinued that one. Anyhow, just my few cents. And they sink beautifully with Macs.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I've used iPhoto with a wide variety of cameras, none of which had any drivers or other enabling SW installed on the Mac. So, if anything will do it, iPhoto will. Still, that doesn't mean it will.

IOXperts make software drivers for a variety of cameras that won't otherwise work with Macs, check their site and see if they mention this model (a good indication you might need something other than iPhoto alone).

·
Registered
762 Posts
I just picked up a New Kyocera EZ 1.3 for $120 Can on eBay. It has the screen on the back to view pics, 8MB built in memory and CF card slot. Camera came with Windows software, but when I plugged it into my PB OSX picked it up as a USB camera. Then I could click on the icon to bring up the photos in Preview or open iPhoto and import the photos. iPhoto couldn't recognize the camera but who cares, they were still easy to get.

1.3 Megapixel is fine, I use mine for eBay stuff and goofin around. I leave the quality photos for my Pro cameras.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so iPhoto doesn't need to actually see the camera or know it in order to import photo's from it?

·
Registered
762 Posts
That's right, on my PB it looks like another external drive is connected in OSX and an icon pops up on the desktop that says "USB Camera"

I then open iPhoto and import pics from camera, even though iPhoto itself won't recognize my camera. :D

Or I just dbl click on the icon and open the pics separately in Preview.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You know Lars, if you can find a Kyocera EZ 1.3 you might be happier with it. I noticed the Logitech only had 640x480 the Kyocera has 640x480 and 1280x960 with 3 different quality modes, here's a review of the Kyocera.

I bought mine on eBay and it was brand new. It's thicker than the Logitech but has way more features for a lower price. But it's not a cheap camera. :D

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the headsup, Jordon! ;)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
wow... thanks a million too. I like to p/u little testimonies like that one all the time. That little Kyocera sounds like a good little catch. 1.3 Megs can be enough - at that price, hell yeah.... And it can take a bigger CF card?? Holla!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good news!

I contacted Logitech, and they will be releasing official Mac OS X drivers for this camera I pointed out sometime in May, 2003! No worries anymore. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Yes, pick up this dirver from ioexperts. Driver is free.. if you like it pay $10. Good deal!

Their list of supported still cameras is huge and you can get lots of the cheapy cameras to work with iPhoto. Great if you want your kids to be able to fart around and have fun on the iMac with a cheap camera that you won't cry if it gets burried in the sandbox.

They also have webcam drivers too.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ehMax,

Read my reply above your reply. No need for third-party drivers as Logitech will be releasing official Mac OS X drivers for this camera with the month of May. ;)

However, that is a good site to look at for other unofficially support cameras.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts