Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a fairly new mac user ( I have a macbook) and I'm having trouble importing my pictures from my Canon A610. iPhoto works great, but I would rather drag my pictures into a specified folder than have iPhoto import all of my recent pictures. Also, the camera doesn't seem to be showing up on my desktop so i can't click on it to open the folder. I'm using the usb cord to import them.

Can anyone help me figure out how to make it show up on my desktop and how to import pictures by clicking and dragging? Thanks so much! :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Open Applications->Image Capture

Go to preferences, and in general preferences set "When a camera is connected, open:" to "Image Capture".

Then, next time you're connecting your camera "Image Capture" will open and will give you the choice to download only the images you want. Try it...

Once your images downloaded in a folder on your desktop just drag the folder on the iPhoto icon in your dock and that's it....

·
Registered
332 Posts
your Canon camera had a program with it called ImageBrowser which allows you to download to any file you wish and ether delete or retain you images on your flash card. We use it often in this household:)

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
Personally I prefer to use an USB card reader. This has a couple of advantages: You can lock the SD card then there is no chance of corrupting or erasing the card. (Both iPhoto and Image Capture have toggled prefernce settings that will erase camera images after they are downloaded.) The second advantage is that it saves wear and tear on the wimpy port cover used on Canon cameras.

I erase images on the camera after I have backed up the downloaded images. Generally I do a reformat to erase the camera.

I still use Image Capture to download the images. This is because OSX (Panther) uses a default creation date (1903) if you use drag and drop. I do not know if either Tiger or the MacIntel architecture has resolved this issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts