1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An interesting read abou the future of TV in Canada

IRENE BERKOWITZ
Special to The Globe and Mail

In an effort to force Canada’s telecom companies to declutter their “skinny basic” cable packages, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) recently announced that instead of the standard, seven-year licence, cable companies will receive a one-year renewal.

Given that cable delivery of TV is being disrupted by Internet delivery – what’s known as “over-the-top” content – could the “skinny licence renewal” be a big, fat diversion from more fundamental reasons for a one-year licence? Big disruptions tend to progress exponentially, not linearly, meaning their impact doubles every year or so. As often observed about transformative change, it happens very slowly, then all at once. In this climate, renewing TV licences for seven years could be like renewing for 128 (seven doublings of one).

Here are seven speculations about what issues might be at play in the one-year renewal, and why the CRTC might just be offering a policy version of a red herring:

More at the link.

Cable TV is about to be disrupted, and the CRTC knows it - The Globe and Mail

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
i have been following it very closely - as bell and the others are attempted to strong arm the industry once again, by stifling 'internet' streaming of programs by smaller providers.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to put this in the miscellaneous links thread, but thought it would generate a lot more discussion. I was wrong about that, sorry.

·
Premium Member
42,491 Posts
I have always said that the purpose of the CRTC was to provide a backstop to protect broadcasters, media companies and telecom/cable providers. I would rather receive a better deal from a US service than be ripped of by a Canadian service, with government blessing. The changes to phone contracts were ridiculous--shorter terms with much higher monthly fees. The "pick your own" cable service was also a joke. Buy 30 Canadian stations you never watch and then you get to pick tiny expensive bundles to add to it. Thanks CRTC!

I routinely watch shows produced all around the world that survive on audience numbers of two million and fewer. If a Canadian show can't pull two million viewers in Canada, pull the plug on the whole protectionist racket and drain the CBC muskeg while you're at it.

·
Premium Member
10,099 Posts
I am personally torn on this subject. I like the concept of a Canadian Broadcaster such as the CBC, but I find many of its programs inferior.....the BBC it is not. That said, our cable companies, for the most part, rebroadcast U.S. Based shows. It is just a method to get rather than a content issue, even though they talk about content. Really, what is the difference between TV and buying manufactured goods. If the market is there to cause their manufacture here let it be, but to regulate the delivery...hmmmmmmmmm I don't know. Border Cities do not have over the air police, then why should cable. I'm with MacFury on this one I think.....let the market decide and keep the government out of it. Surely we have a mature enough industry that we do not need the CRTC interfering.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
I routinely watch shows produced all around the world that survive on audience numbers of two million and fewer. If a Canadian show can't pull two million viewers in Canada, pull the plug on the whole protectionist racket and drain the CBC muskeg while you're at it.
agreed - Canadian version of netflix is a joke as a result of CRTC influence - How ever i am more than pleased with my current content provider - a very small fish in the pond who is innovating like a lion- yes there are occasional hick ups but rather support them then the status quo.

My current provider is the only one so far to take bell to task for hypocrisy several times - they are now in court suing bell media - bell is preventing them streaming on many devices - but then bell stepped in and said that is illegal, but then bell does the same lol

Vmedia is saying - we are paying your licensing fees, so therefore should be allowed and give permission to our viewers to view on all devices they own.. apparently not.. Bell is saying only they are allowed to offer that, i think bell is sour they didn't do it first.
clip from v media "
a judge in a Toronto courtroom will hear our application to declare that VMedia’s new TV streaming service – an innovative live TV app available to consumers with most Canadian internet providers – is protected by The Copyright Act.

As most of you are aware, VMedia launched our live TV app on September 16th, available with Roku Players or our VBox. And importantly, the new VMedia TV app can be accessed with most Canadian internet service providers. The service is not tied to our internet service – subscribers are under no obligation to switch their internet to us if they are happy with their current service – and there is no need to invest in costly new set top boxes if you already have a ROKU Player. And if you don’t, our innovative VBox is the most affordable set top box on the market to buy or rent.

Bell threatened us with a legal injunction and we responded by seeking a declaration from the court that we are within our rights as a licenced BDU to offer the new service to Canadians.

We are of course hopeful that the judge will decide in favor of our new approach to live TV services – one that is more affordable, more convenient to access and one that offers more choice and options for live TV. The decision may be rendered in a week or a month – but either way, VMedia will continue to explore new ways to offer the most innovative TV services in Canada, for the best value in the market.

We want to thank everyone who signed up for the TV app for their support and patience as we wade through this legal matter. In addition, we especially want to thank the many individuals who made contributions to our legal fund. It is all greatly appreciated. So stay tuned."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts