Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I get a D link 10/100 cable/DSL router or similer unit, can I return the rental rogers modem? If so ar these faster then the "Terayon" modem from Rogers?

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Sorry, but a router is NOT a modem. A modem converts the signal being sent over the cable to something the computer understands, a router allows you to share your modem connection between various computers.

Also, why would you want to replace Rogers cable modem, you don't pay a rental charge for it... at least the last time I checked my Rogers bill it was free.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Only get the router if you have more than one computer to share your Internet connection with. As Kosh said, you still need to keep the modem. The router provides no modem capability. It goes like this:

Cable->Modem->Router->multiple computers

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, thank you very much.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Through Shaw they don't mention that if you buy the Cable Modem your monthly payment is $5 cheaper!! So I guess you are renting it, they just don't tell ya :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
It was said:
Only get the router if you have more than one computer to share your Internet connection with.

A router is a good idea no matter how many machines you have if for no other reason than it offers an increased measure of security over just being connected straight to the modem.

--PB

·
Registered
73 Posts
Agreed. It's a good idea to have a router in place as a port blocker/firewall. Mind you, if you're running OS X with up-to-date patches and few services running, you've got nothing to worry about.

However, I have heard that you can get 10 meg modems to replace those Rogers taryons, and it increases your bandwidth. Anyone heard about that?

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
A router is a good idea no matter how many machines you have if for no other reason than it offers an increased measure of security over just being connected straight to the modem.
seconded

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Through Shaw they don't mention that if you buy the Cable Modem your monthly payment is $5 cheaper!! So I guess you are renting it, they just don't tell ya
With Rogers they specifically put a line on the bill for the modem rental and it is $0.00. The only discount you can get with Rogers is the VIP discount - $4.50. It's a nice discount.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts