Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mom Booted From Plane Over Baby's Babbling - News Story - KMGH Denver

Penland thinks her 19-month-old son, Garren, has a bubbly personality. But Penland said when they were aboard a Continental Express plane, a flight attendant became annoyed by Garren's personality when he kept saying three words.

"As we started taxiing, he started saying, 'Bye, bye plane,'" said Penland.

Odd. What if the baby had to notify his mother that he had gone, "boom boom"?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
I agree with guyTO.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Firing seems extreme unless this is habitual behaviour (also, depending upon the accuracy of the article). A reprimand and note on the employee's file should be enough. Second chances and all.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Fire the kid... :D there is nothing nastier on long haul flights than screaming kids! There was an old time (as in "Trans Canada Airlines" times - a precursor to "Air Canada" for you younger sprogs) pilot of my acquaintance who claimed that they would back off the cabin pressure until unruley kids went to sleep... in the "good old days"...

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Firing seems extreme unless this is habitual behaviour (also, depending upon the accuracy of the article). A reprimand and note on the employee's file should be enough. Second chances and all.
Normally I'm all for second chances, but...

1) The flight attendant made a very inappropriate comment to the mother about drugging the kid to shut him up.

2) The flight attendant LIED to the pilot to get the mother kicked off the plane.

3) Other passengers sided with the mother, saying the flight attendant was completely out of line.

Three strikes, and you're out.

If it was a matter of "she said, she said" without any substantiating evidence, definitely a reprimand would be in order. In this case, the flight attendant needs to be fired.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even assuming all three are true, I'd still give a second chance (if that was the first problem) because it was all one event. It could be indicative of a real problem, so it should be made clear that there won't be another chance, but one bad day can lead to multiple bad choices as a part of the "event" in a person's life. But I'm just a big ol' softy. :)

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Normally I'm all for second chances, but...

1) The flight attendant made a very inappropriate comment to the mother about drugging the kid to shut him up.

2) The flight attendant LIED to the pilot to get the mother kicked off the plane.

3) Other passengers sided with the mother, saying the flight attendant was completely out of line.

Three strikes, and you're out.

If it was a matter of "she said, she said" without any substantiating evidence, definitely a reprimand would be in order. In this case, the flight attendant needs to be fired.
You are out to lunch on the three strike proposal.

The poor flight attendant was going cold turkey with a smoking cessation session. As seen on TV. ;)

Far more important factors for consideration might be; was this the first time for this kind of behavior?,

Is typical or atypical of the flight attendant's normal demeanor?,

has the flight attendant any health concerns?,

Length of service to the employer and discipline record?,

Definitely some form of corrective action is in order. What level of corrective action is not known to us, as we don't have sufficient facts to base an informed decision.

Otherwise an emotional response will suffice for the time beingbeejacon You may freely move about this topic.:D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
"If a flight attendant ever said that to my wife, the very least of her worries would be getting fired." Imagine if the baby had said "Bye, bye, plane .... me love Bono"???

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
Not sure about firing the FA, but a month off without pay would certainly be in order.

Better yet a month on; with all pay going into free holiday flights for the victim.:D

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A crying and troublesome 19 month old child? Being under 24 months, the "terrible twos" excuse cannot be used. There is no excuse and the news station should have kicked them out, called Homeland Security and shut down for the day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.