Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
During my time in the newspaper game, I helped two Canadian Apple dealers by sending hundreds of thousands of dollars their way for equipment purchases. In return, I was always rewarded with great service that came from close to home, as in regional reps on site to help with problems versus Apple on the phone. If Apple takes away that business from independant dealers, it is Apple themselves who will lose. Why? Because they simply will never invest in having reps available in the boonies to assist their customers. The plan is doomed to fail, but I shudder to think how many dealers will go down before Apple comes to their senses. This is a classic example of "it it ain't broke, don't fix it" and driven purely by corporate greed. If I had Steve Jobs email address, I would send this along to him as well.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Yeah, I read this one last week. Apple's going to Dell in a handbasket, appearing to reshaping their sals strategy into a Dell/Gateway Store thing where they do it all.

IT SUCKS!! :mad:

They certainly need to do all they can to increase marketshare, and the part where they say about paying themselves AND retailers on sales is tough logic that DOES add to the price of Apple hardware. But, the platform NEEDS a greater retail presence; NOT a lessor one! Adding Apple Stores is a great idea, as it provides a sparkling showcase for the platform in high-traffic areas. but, they should act more like outreach centres where people can really learn about Macs buy stuff for sure, but the Apple Stores should work more in concert with the independant authorized resellers and services... like Apple said they would when they started their brick-and-motar expansion :rolleyes:

Problem with all of this is that it is a slippery one-way slope. The more Apple alienates or pushes out the independants -- many of whom are the ones who have DEVELOPED AND NURTURED relationships with those creative professionals that Apple now wants to serve, directly -- the more do-or-die their plans become. After all this, who would be STUPID ENOUGH to enter into a deal with Apple, again. Who could trust that they wouldn't about-face on them, again?

Apple's done a lot of great things since Jobs came back -- including the phenomenal Apple Stores. But, I too got a baaaaaad feeling about this.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I don't understand what the problem is here with Apple and doing that?

How many Big ass companies with millions of dollars go down to Carbon Computing for example and order 3000 Macs? Probably zero. They most likely contact Apple directly to get a deal. How many schools go to Carbon Computing and order 2500 Macs? Once again probably zero. They would rather go through Apple directly to make a deal and receive incentives.

This article isn't talking about the average consumer here people, but huge corporate and government companies that are willing to spend thousands of dollars or more on computer hardware and software from Apple.

If you know any big huge company that goes down to the local mom and pop Mac store and puts in an order for 5000 Macs please let me know who that company is.

Ever ask a company who uses DELL computers where they got them from? Local Future Shop or directly from DELL?

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
How many schools go to Carbon Computing and order 2500 Macs?
At the place I work, the School board used to purchase ALL their mac stuff from us, then Apple went direct with their Ed sales and Told the schools that they had to deal direct with them to get the better pricing. Some of the schools pay the higher price to deal with us because we provide them with better service, and we are local.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
If you know any big huge company that goes down to the local mom and pop Mac store and puts in an order for 5000 Macs please let me know who that company is.
One of the world's top selling romance paperback publishers, employing over 1,000 Macs, buys from my reseller.

If Apple decides to pull this stunt in Canada, my reseller is quite prepared to switch to the dark side!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts