Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BuyMusic.com has just been made available. It is only available to United States Residents, like the iTMS, but is 1000x worse looking. Songs are being sold for 0.79 US at the cheapest (most are more) and albums 7.95 US at the cheapest (most are also more expensive, just a dollar or two cheaper then buying the CD). They are all Windows Media Player files, and each one has different restrictions on it, as to how many times you can put it on a Mp3/WMA Player, how many times it can burnt and how many computers it can be shared on. IMNSHO, this is a horrible service, just looking to undercut Apple's idea of the iTMS.

I just watched the ads, and, :rolleyes: Good grief, the first one is a punch @ Apple (they smash up the same type of guitar shown with Apple's internet ads), and the other two are horrible and useless parodies of the Apple iPod ads. You think that they could make better commercials...

:mad: What a POS....

[ July 22, 2003, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Chealion ]

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hmmm....

Eminem
Christina Aguilera
Audioslave
Ataris
Mya
Justin Timberlake
50 Cent
Ashanti
Coldplay
Missy Elliott
Tommy Lee
Lil' Kim
Shania Twain
Clay Aiken
Norah Jones
Daniel Bedingfield
Uncle Kracker
Beyonce

Oh my.

How could I live without these in my CD collection...

I guess it shows what the "unwashed teeming millions' who use PCs have for musical taste.

I think I can live without this dreck.

I was however saddened to not find any Boxcar Willy, Celine nor The Osmonds.

Speaking of which - anyone have any bootleg Pat Boone???

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I agree...it is a lame and nasty attempt to do what Apple is already doing better. Their service is way behind the simplicity of Apple.

For those of you who have not heard of or seen what we are talking about, follow the links from this article on MacMinute.com.

What a dreadful service! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
433 Posts
what a total rip off.

when will people understand that blasting your competitor so blatantly makes you look unbelievibly petty. especially when you've copied everything your competitor has done already and your finished result is crap.

phil.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
One of the things I find really "interesting" is that the majority of songs on buymusic.com are over 79 cents; 99 cents seems to be the average, but there are some that are as high as $1.99.

Another thing that's interesting is that each song have different levels of rights management; buymusic.com only guarantees that you'll be able to listen to the song on the computer you downloaded it on. Any additional "rights" above and beyond that are left to the discretion of the labels.

Gah. Even if buymusic.com were available in Canada right now, I wouldn't take advantage of it.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Not a good service, but the ads did make me laugh.

I double Apple would stoop to their level to come up with some sort of retort. But boy, Chiat/Day (Apple's ad agency) could have a field day slamming buymusic.com.

Old out-dated copyright protection methods promoted by an old out-dated rocker Tommy Lee comes to mind.
He's not even a has-been, he's a never-was.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
well if this is all Apple has to worry for competition there looking pretty good. No one in their right mind will want to download Windows Audio Files, or whatever there called, especially when iTunes will be going to the Windows world very soon.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Ahem...
That's "THEY'RE looking pretty good," not "there." ;) :D

Thank you.

[Spelling police exit stage left]

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
sorry for the bad grammer, was in a hurry when I typed that, we really do need a spell checker on here lol

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you use Safari, the spell checker is already available, just has to be turned on! In any Cocoa App(like Safari), just control click in a textbox) and check off Spelling As You Type and you can see what words may be spelt wrong with nice red dots underneath the possibly misguided or misspelt word. Just like TextEdit

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
ok enough about my poor grammer, I am sorry

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

That is excellent advice, Chealion.

Wow! Now, your pseudonym is underlined.

That's neat. Of course, that won't fix the difficulty that many people have with they're, their, and there or other sets of homonyms.

James

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
No, let's slag wonderings some more for his grammar and spelling. ;)

I suspect buymusic.com, despite its obvious problems, won't disappear quickly because of the sheer numbers of Windows users.

It's important for Apple to get iTunes ported as soon as possible because Buymusic and other services could fragment the market.

Yes, it's great that iTunes is the better service but Windows users won't know that until it's available to them.

The clock is ticking for Apple.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oops! The Microsoft WMA format doesn't work on iPods!! BuyMusic's Scott Blum responded by implying that there was a problem with the iPod which relied on a marginal format. Last time I checked both MP3 and Windows were pretty darn near everywhere.

Yesterday As the Apple Turns took a close look at "Music downloads for the rest of us" (one of many Apple slogans BuyMusic 'borrowed' for its campaign). It's a hilarious rant that deserves a look, although Brainstormed is probably right. The longer Windows users see this as the standard for downloading music, the easier it will be to write off the iTunes Music Store.

[ July 23, 2003, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: old dawg ]

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
It's always the same. Apple brings something to market and its poorly copied into the Windows world. In this case, though, I think that such lousy service rip-offs will actually help Apple when the iTMS is released to the Windows world (unlike hardware rip-offs). Apple does need to launch the Windows service but it also needs to closely replicate the Mac experience for iTMS.

Apple doesn't seem to be making much money out of the iTMS. But it doesn't need to. BuyMusic.com, on the otherhand, has no iPod sales to rely on...

After the quote from the Buy.com guy that "Jobs is a visionary, but on the wrong platform", I wonder if people checking out BuyMusic.com will ask whether they are on the wrong platform.....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts