Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at buying a new Mac for a while but am getting by with what I have right now. I am a school principal so I can buy through the Apple Store and get the educator discount. Here are the considerations.

I'm wanting a Superdrive so I'm looking at the eMac with superdrive for $2200 and something (about $2300). Also they have a Power Mac listed with these specs Power Mac G4 867MHz/256MB/40G/CD-RW/NVIDIAGeF4MX-DVI for $1900 and something (about $1970 if I remember correctly).

Someone help me out. Is it tough to put the Superdrive in the tower?(I remember reading somewhere they had to be Apple installed to work properly.) Does the Apple store do any build to order from within the "Specials" category? What kind of software would I expect with the tower ?(any chance it comes with Jaguar or Jaguar for cheap?) It says DVI for the video card, would I need an adapter for either VGA or ADC? This would be 4X AGP?

Well let's open this one up for discussion.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
That PowerMac you listed sounds like an older model, so it may not come with Jaguar - you'll have to ask them when you order. The eMac does come with Jaguar.

The video card comes with an adapter so you won't need one to connect a display. I believe it is the card that has ADC and DVI, and should ship with a VGA adapter - so you'll have your bases covered.

There won't be as much software shipping with the tower as with an eMac - a few graphic arts utils but that's about it. The eMac comes with more useful productivity software like AppleWorks, etc.

Third party DVD writers don't work with iDVD. You'll need to get an Apple supplied SuperDrive for it to work.

Do you need a big display? If so, get the PowerMac. Otherwise, unless there's a requirement that you are not telling me, it sounds like you'll be happy with the eMac.

Good luck!

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
You can BTO a Superdrive for the G4 tower at the regular Applestore ($320 extra). Don't know about the Edu store (but you should call Apple directly). If the Superdrive is not Apple installed, it supposedly won't run iDVD (you won't get the software with the Mac without a bundled SuperDrive and even if you install it from a "friend" it won't necessarily recognize the drive). There are some other SuperDrive-like options such as Formac but I doubt they are as seamless to operate as the Apple installed drive. Technically, installing a 3.5" drive into the G4 is pretty easy. Doubt you'd have a problem. The issue is software support and system integration.

Any new G4 should now come with Jaguar pre-installed. If not, there is a $19.95 Mac OS Up to date program. The macine has both ADC and DVI out (unless you go for the highest end card) along with a dongle for the DVI port for connecting to VGA monitors. The video card at the low end is a 32Meg Nvida GeForce4 MX and it sits in a 4X AGP slot.

Note that the regular store has the low end G4 at $2699 - with two G4 processors and a 60 Gb drive. What you are looking at is probably old stock and is probably not configurable.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so far, the consideration of the $1900 Power Mac over the new one would be that with the $700 - $800 difference I could maybe get an iPod (5Gig) and a 17" or 19" monitor. (or close to it). Are the new ones worth the extra $700 to $800 dollars?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I recently bought the 800MHz eMac with SuperDrive and I love it. Absolutely wonderful machine!!! :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
VertiGoGo, I remember corresponding with you through your thread when you got it, and I'm glad to hear your still lovin' it!

This post just got a little bizzarre though! On my orignal post I quoted the following specs: Power Mac G4 867MHz/256MB/40G/CD-RW/NVIDIAGeF4MX-DVI

When you follow though on the website for the purchase it lists the following specs under the hardware: a 800mhz G4 chip and a Raedon 7500 dual display monitor! What gives??!! I called 1-800-MY-APPLE and the guy I spoke with told me that he would speak to his supervisor who would speak to the webmaster who would make a correction in the next day or so. I asked if they could email me the correct info when they get it and he told me that wasn't possible (wonder if the are on the internet at Apple??) I hope they make the correction soon. We'll see! :confused:

·
Registered
993 Posts
I am looking at the same 867 model, which is very tempting at that price. I can tell you for certain that it comes with Jaguar because I asked Apple Canada about this already. The case is the QuickSilver form factor, i.e. the previous model before the most recent "wind-tunnel" or "mirrored door drive" model. It would be quieter than that model, but probably not as quiet as an eMac. It would be faster and more upgradeable than an eMac. (The difference in speed is more than the processor megahertz suggests because the 867 has a 2 meg L3 cache and not just a 256k L2 cache. I'm sure it would be easy to install a SuperDrive in it, at least if you have installed routine things in a computer before. Whether it's preferable to an eMac depends on whether you need the upgradeability and whether you would be happy with the 17"crt monitor that comes with the eMac. Those are the things I would focus on in choosing between the two.

·
Registered
993 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>When you follow though on the website for the purchase it lists the following specs under the hardware: a 800mhz G4 chip and a Raedon 7500 dual display monitor! What gives??!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can't get this off the website. It's only available to educators and thus, not listed. You have to call Apple Education to order it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fox,

Thanks for the help. What are the specs you got from Apple if you don't mind? Also is Jaguar shipped with it? Is Apple Education still at 1-800-MY-APPLE?

Thanks in advance for your help and keep me posted on where you are at on your purchase.

·
Registered
993 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Thanks for the help. What are the specs you got from Apple if you don't mind? Also is Jaguar shipped with it? Is Apple Education still at 1-800-MY-APPLE?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Specs were the same as those you started the thread with. If you want more detail, go to the Apple website under Support, then Specifications, then PowerMac G4, and download the specs on the QuickSilver 2001 units. It's the same as this, but with only a CDRW. Jaguar is either pre-installed on the 867 or it comes with the unit and must be installed. (I can't remember which.) Apple Educator number: (800) 800-2775.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Fox, I'll try the phone call tomorrow, still hope to hear where you go with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts