Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I’ve waited and waited for a finger print scanner, but it looks like apple isn’t going to release one soon. So time to upgrade

On iPhone 14 Rogers offers a fair discount (on pro max version). Almost $400 compared to buying it from apple store. But I’d have to finance it for 2 years. I hate contracts.

is There a benefit in buying from apple/Best Buy, etc compared to carrier?

· Premium Member
16,573 Posts
I’ve waited and waited for a finger print scanner, but it looks like apple isn’t going to release one soon. So time to upgrade

What actually are you wanting a fingerprint scanner to do for you???

And, for what it's worth and for your own information:
iPhone finger print scanner
All four models in the new iPhone 14 series lack a fingerprint scanner and rely solely on Face ID for biometric authentication. The iPhone 8 Plus was the last flagship iPhone to feature a Touch ID fingerprint sensor, and Apple dropped it in favor of Face ID starting with the iPhone X.Sept 19, 2022

- Patrick
=======

· Premium Member
16,573 Posts
Does the 2022 SE (3rd Gen) not retain the fingerprint scanner? Think so, but don’t quote me.
As far as I can see the 2020 iPhone 12 Pro was the last model with scanner:

But this webpage says:
The iPhone 8 Plus was the last flagship iPhone to feature a Touch ID fingerprint sensor, and Apple dropped it in favor of Face ID starting with the iPhone X. However, Apple still offers an iPhone with a Touch ID fingerprint scanner in the form of the iPhone SE 3 (2022),

It seems that one of the latest model cell phones with fingerprint scanning included and updated, one might need to switch brands:
Samsung Galaxy S23 will reportedly improve on iPhone 14’s satellite connectivity, upgrade fingerprint sensor...
Ben Schoon
- Nov. 24th 2022 9:57 am PT

- Patrick
=======

· Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 6s Plus right now and its heading to the grave. The plan was to hold it for 4 years, but i've surpassed that. I didn't know the SE had a finger scanner. I do enjoy the larger size of the 14 and the longevity of the higher end phone.

I've been with Rogers since 2003 so 2 more years isn't a big deal...its the just the thought of a monthly fee.

I have to go to the store to check out the SE, but it looks like a smaller size phone than what I have now.

· Premium Member
16,573 Posts
I've been with Rogers since 2003 so 2 more years isn't a big deal...its the just the thought of a monthly fee.
If you don't use your own phone that much, you can still carry on using the Rogers network but use the 7-Eleven Speak-Out prepaid service as we do, and not even any data which is extra, we don't even use a plan but just pay a lump sum that last a year and anything left over can be rolled over and added to the next year.
It works very well for our low usage and the service and coverage is very good.
You can check it out here:

- Patrick
=======

· Administrator
386 Posts
Hi folks,

On iPhone 14 Rogers offers a fair discount (on pro max version). Almost $400 compared to buying it from apple store. But I’d have to finance it for 2 years. I hate contracts.

is There a benefit in buying from apple/Best Buy, etc compared to carrier?
Did you figure out what you’re doing? There are some good Black Friday sales at different places for iPhone 14’s, that might be worth getting.

· Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
“Did you figure out what you’re doing? There are some good Black Friday sales at different places for iPhone 14’s, that might be worth getting”

There was no benefit buying through Rogers. The only way to get a discount on the phone was to change my plan and pay more which I wasn’t willing to do. I spoke to loyalty and corporate pricing but nothing available.
So I’m probably just going to buy the phone outright. Just deciding on the plus or pro model. I don’t see any sales online anywhere

· Administrator
386 Posts
“Did you figure out what you’re doing? There are some good Black Friday sales at different places for iPhone 14’s, that might be worth getting”

There was no benefit buying through Rogers. The only way to get a discount on the phone was to change my plan and pay more which I wasn’t willing to do. I spoke to loyalty and corporate pricing but nothing available.
So I’m probably just going to buy the phone outright. Just deciding on the plus or pro model. I don’t see any sales online anywhere
I personally would get the Pro model. The reviews I have read is putting the Pro at the better choice out of the two.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts