Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some price haggling with MacDoc who has offered me a variety of good deals to the point I have probally anoyed him by asking so many questions. But, thanks anyways MacDoc,, I appreciate everything your trying to do.

I want to ask a more general populus on your advice.
Keep in mind, MacDoc is kind of to work with me because I am a poor student..... so I cannot buy a Dual g5...

ANYWHEW, moving up from a g3 b/w 400.
I have an iBook g4 12"

I need a new tower.
MacDoc has recomended a G4 Dual 500 with a Upgraded Video Card
either the gForce MX 4
or the Radeon 900 - bit of a price difference
and a SuperDrive

Do you think this will satisfy my needs.
My needs are as follows.
FCP 4 editing, (dont mind waiting too long for renders)
After Effects (Minimal Compositing)
And Now,, the #1 Reason to Upgrade
GarageBand and my electric guitar, plugging in a jamming making tunes...I know serious tests havent been done yet..
But what do you guys think?

I am trying to spend under a thousand and am willing to use my g3 b/w 400 as a trade..Thanks, any help is apprciated.

·
Premium Member
30,934 Posts
Here's the thinking as most will need to see pricing to make a comment.

Noah has a lot of good stuff in his B&W already so moving that forward on a box to box basis for $690 to the DP 500 seemed the least expensive route for a video suite as it preserved what he had already bought and had good options down the road.

I then gave him a choice of few "treats" video card, etc which really are not critical and a Superdrive which was a "priority.
It was the best rendering in that price range...as he says starving student.

He already had this to move forward all of which worked fine in the DP
640 Megs Ram
52X CD R/W
20 Gig HD
120 Gig HD

Since Macspectrum did almost the same trade up to DP 500 from a G3 Blue quite happily after trying a single 466 G4 I figured Noah would get best use of his funds this way. :cool:

You may want this in Anything Mac for a bit more exposure. Chealion can move it if you ask.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i guess this is my cue...

using panther and a cpu intensive app. i would only go with a dual CPU setup
i find the mouse and keyboard response much more to my liking than the single CPU G4/466 and 533

even if you run non-CPU intensive app.'s like me (excel, word, filemaker pro, safari, Mail, with very little quark, illustrator and photoshop) i would stay with the dual CPU setup and make sure you have HDs that have some good througput

also ask macodc to set you up with an ATA/133 PCI card to run your HDs - a long term investment that pays back

X is not faster than 9 BUT i can do so many things at the same time that the true multi-tasking ovecomes the slower performance vs. 9

oh and before i forget
the box is 9 bootable, just in case....

enjoy your dualie

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks MacDoc!! Wow, this guy is amazing!!
I tuly appreciate everything he has done. I am in Windsor and my Uncle introduced me to his business a few years back when I bought my first mac , b/w g3!! Amazing!!

Well, Superdrive is not priority,,

what is the ATA 33 PCI for and how much does that run?
Also,, can someone give me recomendations on the video card,,
GeForce MX
or Radeon 9000

Is it worth the extra 100

·
Premium Member
30,934 Posts
You don't really need the ata 133 card tho it's a nice treat. MacSpectrum already had a card and just bumped up. It's $175 you don't need to spend right now. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts