Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

OK gang- need some help. I've finally had it with staring at a 15 inch screen all day, and the time has finally come to upgrade my Mac. Currently I've got G3/600 iMac CRT, with Panther and 768 Megs RAM. Pretty pleased with it in general, although a speed boost will be nice.

Anyways, although I'd love to buy a G5 with a Cinema Display, I don't have much money, so it is eMac or iMac. But I really have to have a 17 inch monitor, and the price difference for both Superdrive models is like $1000!

Can someone convince me that it is worth the extra dough to get an iMac? I don't care about the funky look of it or anything. Just need to know. I don't do anything too intense, just lots of surfing, music, Office using, and make the occasional movie. Please help!

Cheers,
Snubnose

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
LCD or CRT?

Comparing the 17" iMac to the eMac, you see the iMac has a faster processor (1.25 vs. 1).
A better video card (nVidia GeForce MX 5200 64 MB vs an ATi Radeon 7500 32 MB)
USB 1.1 on the eMac, USB 2.0 on the iMac (1.1 using the keyboard as a hub)
Weight; eMac == elephant, iMac == antelope (50lbs vs 23 lbs), and footprint. The eMac takes up more space on your desk.

That's the biggest difference in specs. But most people do agree that the eMac has the most bang for the buck. And for what you want to do, the eMac should work just fine.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I agree with Chealion. The eMac has the most bang for your buck. But if you want the little extra performance and and LCD, then go for the iMac. You can even get that cinema display you wanted, in 17 or 20 inch. Cheers

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'd wait 1-week until you make a purchase. I have a strong feeling that some Macs may get speed-bumps soon, and we'll maybe even see a 20th Mac-iversary machine early next week - who knows.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Neil, that is so bananas. Pretty cool. I like little such projects (actually, a little big one ;) ) For any handy person on a budget, this is something worth trying for sure.

Thanks for the link, which actually lead to another as well (manuals). Excellent!

H!

·
Registered
933 Posts
What I'd really appreciate in one of those mod pages is a step by step picture guide to doing the soldering. They always show you the jumpers and then assume you've got the equipment and the know how. I've got steady hands, just show me the way (err, after I pick up an 800 mHz eMac that is
)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.