Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a new MacBook Pro. I would like to know what are the advantages or disadvantages of the glossy versus anti-glare screens.

Thanks for any opinions you can add.

Steve

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
While some like the glossy, they can be very hard to work with - it all depends on the lighting. Your best bet is the matte (anti-glare, as you called it) coating.

Of course, this is the sort of thing you should really check out at your local Apple Store or Authorized Reseller.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
uh oh... look out
Wow I sure did not want to start trouble with my first post LOL.

Of course, this is the sort of thing you should really check out at your local Apple Store or Authorized Reseller.
Next time I get to Toronto I will stop by one of the Apple Stores. My LAR has odd hours and I can't ever seem to make it there while they are open. I will certainly compare the 2 screen styles before I make my purchase.

Steve

·
Premium Member
18,000 Posts
FWIW, I've had my glossy-screen MacBook for a year - and that's a year of near-constant use (far too many hours per day). I *love* the glossy screen (colours, contrast) compared to my previous matte screen on the 12" iBook G4.

Reflections? Honestly - the rare time that I catch myself staring back at me on a particularly dark screen with the lighting *just right* doesn't bother me at all.

YMMV.
:)
M

·
Registered
1 Posts
Definately head to a Apple store and side by side comparison. Note that the glossy is version on the MacBook is a lot better than the ones on PC laptops (I have a PC laptop, and the glossy screen is terrible - it is SO reflective).

When I did a comparison, I personally settled on the matte version for my MacBook Pro. I just liked it more.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Glossy screens are said to be better when viewed outside in the sunlight, while suffering glare from fluorescent lighting indoors. The matte screens are best for indoors, and my Powerbook could not be used at all in sunlight.

·
Registered
334 Posts
FWIW, I've had my glossy-screen MacBook for a year - and that's a year of near-constant use (far too many hours per day). I *love* the glossy screen (colours, contrast) compared to my previous matte screen on the 12" iBook G4.
This is not a fair comparison at all. The iBook's screen is several generations old, and its inferior contrast, brightness level, and color reproduction have nothing to do with its being matte.

To the OP, if you aren't a serious graphic artist and your computer usage is generally not under overly bright lights, then you might be satisfied with glossy. Matte is more accurate though, and I'd rather have it on my MacBook.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was going through this same debate a few months ago. It seems that everyone you ask will tell you something different. I went with matte - I do a lot of programming and am on my computer for many hours a day and was worried that the glossy screen would strain my eyes. But like someone else said, the glossy macs aren't like those awful glossy displays on some other computers. I think either way you'll be satisfied - I have no complaints about my matte.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts