Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been enough to the Apple store to NEED a MAC PRO for Video editing (final cut pro) and 2D imaging.

I have never owned a mac computer. I have an Ipod (insert applause)...! lol ;)

I have discussed the prices and the options. But, I feel like I am being played as the first time buyer of an apple. For some reason I can't trust the price that I am paying and getting the best for the value.

Can anyone suggest or let me know what I shouldn't fall for when being sold an Apple Mac Pro at the Apple Store (in Canada)!

Please advise a first time Mac owner to be.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Apple's prices are standardized across Canada. Unless you get refurb, or a very rare big box store sale, you'll pay the same no matter where you go.

If you're asking what kind of upgrades you "need" vs what they are trying to sell, I'd need more info. If it's just straight editing, the base Mac Pro would do fine with 2-4GB of ram (hell, a base dual G5 works well). If you're doing heavy motion graphics, or heavy duty HD editing, you may want to consider the video card upgrade.

Again... more info needed before I can recommend more. Good luck with the purchase.

A7

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
When shopping for a Mac, you should know that there are rarely discounts. Apple sets the MSRP, and it is their retail price (online and in store). Apple will not charge more than this, and almost certainly won't discount it without a bundle.

If you are unsure if you are getting an honest price (no reason you wouldn't be), go to the online store and configure your machine - you can either order it online, or use it as a reference for in store prices.

I have never heard of an Apple Store or Authorized Reseller charging more than Apple's MSRP.

Given that it's your first Mac, AppleCare may be a good idea. Although it does provide 3 years total of hardware coverage (1 year without AppleCare), you may find the best feature it offers is the 3 years of phone support (90 days without AppleCare).

·
Registered
466 Posts
To start you will pay more for a Mac. Buying a Mac is like buying a Saturn - the price is the price.

This weekend starting FRIDAY is the once per month "gently"used sale. Call the Apple stores and find what you need and buy it. If you feel you have overpaid that is the feeling of owning something that is amazing. You will enjoy the purchase and it's ease of use. Buy big screen and fast core duo.

Add ram (do not buy the RAM from Apple store) to it's max. Add a BIG external firewire drive, then enjoy. You will have made the most productive purchase in your business life. You will not regret it. If you need Windows, buy Parallels at the time of purchase, add a twist of lime or lemon and savour the feeling of owning a Mac.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Hate to discount what Chilbear said, but perhaps Chilbear didn't notice the "Video editing in Final Cut Pro" part (or just doesn't work in video, so doesn't know enough about it). Here are some corrections:

- You're NOT looking for the Core Duo chips. You're looking for the multi-core Xeon. It's all that's available in the Mac Pro anyway, so stick with a Mac Pro and don't worry about it.

- This is one of the few scenarios where I recommend you DO get the ram from Apple. Editing is hard on the system, and will make it HOT. Third party "cheap" ram is not yet reliable enough to run well in a Mac Pro... (not looking for a debate here... the bottom line is it's just more hassle than it's worth) But more importantly, you'll want to have it fully covered on your Apple warranty. As an editor myself, I know that deadlines are tight... you don't want to be dealing with 3rd party ram, and the potential issues, crashes, sending ram back, waiting for repair, etc. And you DEFINITELY don't want to go to the max amount of ram... that's likely WAY out of your budget, and 16GB is overkill no matter what you're doing. For simple editing, 2-3 GB is the sweet spot. For heavier HD or motion, 3-4GB is the sweet spot.

A7

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
This is one of the few scenarios where I recommend you DO get the ram from Apple. Editing is hard on the system, and will make it HOT. Third party "cheap" ram is not yet reliable enough to run well in a Mac Pro...
You make it sound like Apple RAM never fails, and Apple RAM IS 3RD party RAM. Apple does not manufacture RAM.

I did over 5 years of corporate sales of Apple systems and sold and supported more editing suites than I could possibly count. Yes RAM failures are a pain, especially on a deadline but it was rarely the RAM that I sold (which had a lifetime warranty). More often than not it was the RAM in the system that failed and it was often just out of Apple's 1 or 3 year warranty warranty.

My best advice is get as many quotes as you can and let the salesperson know you are shopping around. Ask for a corporate salesperson or deal with a company that has a dedicated video department that actually know what they're doing. Sometimes price isn't everything, you want to deal with a company that can actually assist you when you need the help. Ask people in your industry "who do you TRUST?", a recommendation is a great thing to bring to a salesperson because then he isn't just trying to please you but also trying not to alienate the person who referred you as well.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My mistake on my post. I read Mac"book" PRO as many in the film industry i sell to use laptops. I agree with the tower suggestions and of course the laptop is no sloth either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the setup I am looking to buy, or atleast I was recommended in buying.

MacPro: 3.0GHz Intel Xeon, 250 or 500GB HD, DL DVD SuperDrive, 4gb ram, BlueTooth & Wireless Keyboard, ATI x1900 512MB VRAM.

Now in addition to the setup you get the Final Cut Pro 2 Suite,
3 Year Apple Care, Pro Care, and .Mac account.

All this has a price tag from the apple store of $7, 167.33 w/taxes. That is a considerable chunk of money.

I know for a fact I will not be getting the PRO CARE and .MAC cause its waste of additional money. I rather put that towards something else like a external firewire drive as was metnioned/recommended.

Now, the price that I got was with discounts raning from 8% to as much as 17% for the Final Cut 2. Just I thought I would mention to be taken into consideration when going through the options at the apple store yourselves.

I also have a corp. discount on Apple products, hence for the discounts. But the sales person I dealt with, he said that they make deals here and there when bundling, so. I seriously need a conclusive decision, its a lot of money, and I want to make the best value purchased possible and not regretting it.

I appreciate all the help that has been offered so far. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
You still didn't mention what you're doing with it! Can't help if you don't say what it's for. There's a BIG difference between editing simple mini-dv footage of corporate events and a pro editor cutting a feature length DVCProHD film. There's a difference between using Motion to create a title, and using Motion and After Effects to create 3D replicated particles. What are you doing with the machine?

A7

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
You get a 30 day free trial of .Mac to see if you really need it or not. I love .Mac, I just feel it completes the Mac experience. A few others here feel the same, but I think the majority don't feel a need for this service.

·
Registered
951 Posts
At the Digital Conference last week Jobs seemed to hint that new desktop Macs would be coming sooner rather than later. So you may want to wait until Jobs' keynote at WWDC next week before buying. Also the Quad Core Xeon chips will be coming down in price very soon (later this month I think) and that will eventually (although probably not immediately) be reflected in the price of the computer. They're great machines by the way... I have several clients who have ponied up the big bucks for it and they are all delighted.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
At the Digital Conference last week Jobs seemed to hint that new desktop Macs would be coming sooner rather than later. So you may want to wait until Jobs' keynote at WWDC next week before buying. Also the Quad Core Xeon chips will be coming down in price very soon (later this month I think) and that will eventually (although probably not immediately) be reflected in the price of the computer. They're great machines by the way... I have several clients who have ponied up the big bucks for it and they are all delighted.
Hi,

In the past when the Canadian dollar increased in value against the US dollar the price of Macs didn't change until Mac World or WWDC. Given that the Canadian dollar is worth more than when the Mac Pro was originally priced, we may see a Mac price drop after WWDC. Add that to the price changes of Xeons that Fink mentioned above and you may see a significant savings.

Just speculating.

s.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Yeah the 8 core are brilliant - we stock them as we are very confident of their value and performance. Instant gratification :D

Best Mac I've ever used tho no way I need it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the Sony HDRFX1, which I have now total of 24 tapes which is equal to 24hrs of video to edit. I have shot it all in HD and I need the power to compress and get it all on several dvds. I hope this is enough information to help me out further.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I've got the Panasonic HVX200 and I can edit DVCPro HD content perfectly fine on my Dual G5 with the base video card (128MB ATI 9600). So if you want to save money, you can get the base GeForce video card (which is already light years above mine) instead of the ATI. Only upgrade the card if you're doing MAJOR effects (i.e. 3-4 motion enabled HD streams, or heavy AE processing). For your needs, the 4GB ram is a good recommendation. The rest of the system was fine as recommended, but in my opinion, the video card is a waste for you right now. For the hard drive, I'd say stick with the 250 for now, and when you run out (which will be soon) buy 2 more huge drives (elsewhere) and raid them for best performance. It can be done really easily, and will save money now, and give you a boost later.

Hope that helps.

A7

·
Registered
726 Posts
MacPro: 3.0GHz Intel Xeon, 250 or 500GB HD, DL DVD SuperDrive, 4gb ram, BlueTooth & Wireless Keyboard, ATI x1900 512MB VRAM.

All this has a price tag from the apple store of $7, 167.33 w/taxes. That is a considerable chunk of money.
Check out OWC [www.macsales.com] for memory or give MacDoc a call. For US$469 you can get an extra 4GB of RAM from OWC [these guys have been selling Mac Memory for decades]. Also make sure that you don't get the HD from Apple [you can get a 500GB SATA drive for $125 these days. Apple's addons are always very pricey.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I take the One on One sessions at the Apple store, as I am converting from Windows to Apple OSX...and primarily to use Final Cut Studio. It was my second session, and after getting several hints of how to go about my problem and save money to get the machine I want. I have decided to get the Mac Pro as is! HOWEVER, return it in within 14 days. I have one major project to do that is in heavy demand as it is going overseas to bunch of families.

In the meantime, what I am going to do is save up the money talk to a person who has contacted me on the board as well as see what CDW can offer me.

I want to THANK everyone on the super support with this. It's a tough choice, but a good choice that I am making for the future to come. I am hoping to turn this hobby into a side business in the future. So I am greatful for all the support and responses I have gotten from all of you...THANK YOU!

·
Registered
726 Posts
and save money to get the machine I want. I have decided to get the Mac Pro as is! HOWEVER, return it in within 14 days. I have one major project to do that is in heavy demand as it is going overseas to bunch of families.
The ethics of buy and return aside, make sure that you can in fact return the unit. If you're buying final cut, there is NO WAY they will let you return it if the packaging is open.

·
Registered
566 Posts
FYI, one more opinion on the G5/Intel debate. I moved from a dual 2.7GHz G5 to a quad 2.0 (both with 4 GB of RAM) and there is no competition, the Zeon blows the G5 out of the water. For multitasking its not even close. Im not a super power user but I do have mail, safari, ical, coda, photoshop, aperture, iphoto and at least one Parallels VM running XP and Visual Studio open all at once for most of the day. the zeon handles it much better than the G5 ever did, dont let the GHz number fool you. Just buy lots of RAM and the intel will do all you ever ask of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.