Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed before somewhere, but when burning cd's, I've noticed that are a couple of large files included on the finished cd (DS Store Files?). I've heard that someone can get quite a bit of info through these 2 files (I believe they're desktop files). With the free cd burning app(s) out there, I wonder if any can burn without having these Mac files included.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Actually, in OS 9 there were two files (Desktop DF and Desktop DB). .DS_Store files are different.

In OS X, .DS_Store files store the information as to how a window is supposed to display, eg. position on screen, picture in background, size of text, size of icons, list, column or icon view, etc. (There are programs that will remove these as they are invisible in the Finder unless you have the Finder enabled to see invisible items.)

In OS 9, the Desktop DF and DB files were sometimes used as tempoarary caches for programs like Internet Explorer. So if you really wanted to, someone could read these files and see some of the internet sites you had visited. Rebuilding your destkop, would remedy this problem.

So there shouldn't be anything to worry about as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
There are quite a few tiny but effective tools to remove .DS_Store files from a folder, which you can then burn (they won't show up on the CD).

It's also my understanding that Toast (recent versions) supports removing them, but I've never tried that feature.

I use DS_Store Cleaner which you can d/l (freeware) at all the usual places. Cocktail and probably a lot of other OSX utilities that save you the trouble of using the terminal probably have this feature as well.

Or you could do it from the terminal.

The OS9 files are easily removed in OSX by trashing them.

It's not a major security issue for most of us; but commercial CDs probably shouldn't have them. Windows and UNIX users just see a file that won't open with a double-click (but could be if navigated to with a text or hex editor).

" ... In OS 9, the Desktop DF and DB files were sometimes used as temporary caches for programs like Internet Explorer. ..."

One has to wonder if there ever was a case where Microsoft didn't just use the first handy container to store sensitive data.

No wonder they had to make such a big deal about "Trustworthy Computing"; otherwise nobody at MS would do more than shrug and ignore it.

[ January 14, 2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
In OS 9 the Desktop DF and DB store info about where files are on your hard drive and icons/application linkages.

It's when one of (or both) these files becomes corrupted that your Mac might slow down, file icons become generic, (and a couple other issues too) and you end up performing the ever popular Rebuild Desktop.

Whether MS stored private data in one or both of them, I don't know.

The .DS_Store files perform a similar function to the Desktop DF/DB files in OS X, but doesn't hold much more than window position/configuration information.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts