Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the problem: I want an external HD but I want it to have 8 meg of cache. Am I wrong? is it very usefull compared to 2megs? This drive will be mainly used for GB and video.

I only have a PB 12" with FW 400, would I 'feel' the added 6 meg of cache?

Any enclosure suggestion? I would idealy want one with FW and USB and I want it to look good with my alu 12". Also, I rather like FW because it doesnt require additional cable.

Thanks for the infos!

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
I'm using an IOGear ION USB 2/FireWire Combo enclosure. I got this from Best Buy and put a Maxtor 7200 RPM 120gb (8mb cache) drive in it.

Works great with iMovie and Final Cut Express on a Rev. A 12" PB G4.

Jonesy

Total cost drive and enclosure after rebates was about $300 Cdn.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I currently have two Seagate drives in my older PowerMac G4. Both are 120 GB but one has 2MB cache and one has 8MB. I know that the performance tests show that the 8MB is a better performer, but it isn't something I can actually perceive on a day to day basis.

However, any recent 7200rpm 3.5" drive will likely outperform the drive that came in your PowerBook. I also have an original TiBook that came with a 30GB IBM drive. Performance is downright pathetic compared to the Seagates.

If the prices are similar, I would suggest that you buy the 8MB cache version since it likely will be slightly faster.

Also, I know that most drives only have a 1 year warranty now, but some of the 8MB models still have the old 3 year warranty. This is likely the best reason to get a 8MB model.

- Martin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts