Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to use the built-in ethernet and a PCMCIA ethernet card in my PB?

Reason is, I'm on a Lite speed cable internet that's limited to 100 kbps and I'm kinda hoping to double that.

I've tried plugging in my Farallon Ethermac card but it won't show up in my network system preferences in OS X.2.3.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I am not sure this is going to be possible, as the supply is basically limited to 100 Kbps (Lite) how are you expecting to try and double the supply by the use of another card. Just curious I guess........ :D

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know, that's what I'm asking, I guess, is it possible?

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
You cant get whatever srvice you get to go any faster, whether you have 1 or 5 connections, but the stream is shared among multiple connections so it may be worse among several connections
I have never heard of someone having 2 ethernet streams to one machine unless it was 2 different networks, which this is not, so I think its a waste of time.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that's what I needed to know :D
And thanks for the quick replies :D :D

·
Registered
778 Posts
Mac OSX Client and Server do not have any "teamed" network interface abilities as of yet built into the system. That being said, you cannot have 2 nics conencted to the same interface/subnet using the same IP number for both interfaces.

You can go the other way around and give 1 interface multiple IP addresses, but in this case this is not what you want,

If you have 100KPs connection, you are stuck at a maximum download or upload of 100 and no more.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
People used to do this with multiple modems (along with multiple phone lines) to increase bandwidth. If I recall correctly a small sw utility was required to manage the traffic, but it did nearly double speeds.

This may well be possible with multiple cablemodems, but all in all it's not the best solution. I haven't though it through to the end, but my first guess is that you wouldn't need a second NIC to do it; Ethernet routers should be able to handle routing the two streams to a single Ethernet port on your Mac.

A better solution would be to upgrade your account to "regular" hispeed cable; on DSL a higher bandwidth account can be had where I live for about $15-$25 more a month, probably a better idea in the long run.

Dual or more Ethernet cards are handy when the computer is used as a server of some kind, or as a firewall.

You can be sure that any reasonably priced Internet connection will be much slower than a single Ethernet connection of any description; you have to have a pretty expensive net account to start taxing the 10BaseT (10Mb each way if full duplex) spec, let alone 100 or Gigabit Ethernet.

With my provider, speeds/price are as follows:
$23 for 128Kb up/down DHCP
$46 for 128Kb up/1.5Mb down DHCP
$60 for 128Kb up/1.5Mb down Static IP
$60 for 384Kb up/2Mb down DHCP
$96 for 640Kb up/3Mb down DHCP
$150 for 640Kb up/3Mb down Static IP

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya, I just upgraded to the High speed, much easier :D :D