Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since upgrading to Panther, MSN Messenger likes to boot me out constantly at random; must be a toxic application.

·
Registered
187 Posts
no problem with MSN and Panther here

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
On my computer, every time Fast User Switching is used, you get kicked out of MSN Messenger. Not nice for my siblings, but I use Proteus and thus am unaffected.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MSN has kicked me out 9 times in less than 2 straight hours while chatting - hmm, I think Proteus needs to be installed... this is ticking me off.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
While MSN has worked issue free on Panther, I was getting booted of fairly regularly under Jaguar. I chalked it up to the MSN network though.

--PB

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't think it's related to Panther. I have MSN running on 10.2.8 and it keeps booting me off too... Ironically, I've had no trouble staying connected with Proteus.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Must be a MSN thing then. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
MSN will crash when quitting, and also will crash if a user you are chatting with using MSN 6 for PC sends you lots of smiley icons (that aren't in MSN for Mac). Both of these bugs were reported when I beta tested Panther, but I have a feeling that it's being left to Microsoft to fix.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I doubt it's Panther. I haven't used it, but I use MSN 6 because for now I'm using a PC and I get booted too. Not quite as often as you though
..some days are worse than others. I have friends who use macs and msn for mac and they have the same problem. I also seem to have problems sending files to people using MSN mac. (no problems accepting though) Speaking of that, MSN really needs to update their mac version of MSN. It's soo far behind msn 6. :( I hope they do that soon....they probably won't though just cuz they're all bitter that you're on a mac. ;) jk
(actually who knows with microsoft)

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and also will crash if a user you are chatting with using MSN 6 for PC sends you lots of smiley icons (that aren't in MSN for Mac). Both of these bugs were reported when I beta tested Panther, but I have a feeling that it's being left to Microsoft to fix.
Ahh, that exactly explains my crashing of MSN.

And I agree - Microsoft really, really needs to update the Mac version; it's becoming a little lame now being so far behind the PC version.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Sorry to butt in here but everyone seems to blame Panther or software for MSN and some online problems but have any of you considered that the problems are NETWORK related?

I've seen a ton of clients lately have problems with DSL connections, mainly from Sympatico. I'm on cable and have NO problems whatsoever in anything online related.

DSL in my opinion is over rated and unreliable. Of course cable is not perfect, I recently helped a customer with a TiBook install Panther after he accidentally wiped his drive clean and he had a ton of problems getting back online via cable. After blaming Apple and everyone in the world for dodgy software it was determined that the iSP needed to renew his DHCP lease. After that everything was fine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oh yeah...sympatico DSL sucks. For me anyway. Sometimes my connection will drop for hours...this happens like once a week. It's starting to get on my nerves considering DSL is not exactly the cheapest internet solution for those on a budget.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts