Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chapters here in St.John's had North America's launch of the final Harry Potter book. I must admit that I have never read any of these books, and have only seen bits and pieces of any of the HP movies.

However, my neighbor's daughter was there for the midnight madness event and bought the book. I was out working in the garden and she was discussing the ending with a friend as they were walking up the street. I would never have guessed the ending in a million years, but now it ruins it for all of you because I am going to tell you the ending.

The book ends with ............................

Bug Humbar. Why ruin it for you. Paix, mes amis.

"Carpe diem".

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HowEver, that's a good deal.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ErnstNL, yes, but it is after the "and" that amazes people. Who would have guessed???

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
The book is about $24 at Costco here, $22.88 at Real Canadian Superstore.
Speaking of bugs...

HowEver, can you please change your avatar, it's causing me to swat at imaginary things. It's giving me the creepy crawlies. PLEASE! :baby:

:yikes:

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gw, you think that is giving you the "creepy crawlies", read the last few pages of the last Harry Potter book. That will really send you over the edge.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
gw, you think that is giving you the "creepy crawlies", read the last few pages of the last Harry Potter book. That will really send you over the edge.
Eventually I will, but taking it from my youngest daughters grasp (before she's finished it) would result in serious injury or death. ;)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gw, save your strength for trying to calm your crying daughter when she gets to the end.

·
Palindromic Pooch
10,621 Posts
Finished the book this afternoon, and I'm not going to put any spoilers here.

Considering the challenges that Rowling faced--public pressure probably unseen since Dickens' heyday, a readership that is significantly different from that when she started, and the constraints imposed by the previous books--she did well enough in closing out the tale.

There are many who will point out the weaknesses and shortcomings of the book and her writing, and I leave that work to them. I would like to praise her for capturing the essence of her three main characters in a single sentence (page 336). Such economy and sensitivity is always appreciated.

I made two significant predictions prior to reading the novel, and am content to have been right about one of them.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Considering the challenges that Rowling faced ... she did well enough in closing out the tale." Maybe so, but to copy an ending from a famous movie??? I think not, Kazak.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sonal, our definitions of good and evil must differ. Still, I shall say no more, although most will guess the ending by the next to last page if they saw this famous movie.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Aha, a closet Potter thread!

May I disagree. I'll just make that a statement because it is too easy to spoil... Dr G, do you want to p.m. the film title?

I'll just say that the last few chapters are very clever but there is one thing that doesn't quite fit. Perhaps we should have a separate 'do not open unless you have read the book thread'? Anybody wants to start it? - Personally, I'm going to bed... Three days past 2 a.m. have taken the shine of my incredibly good looks ;)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Moscool, they are starting to return the books in LA as we speak. Chapters here in Canada has already put on their 30% OFF red stickers to try and sell the thousands of books that are now not going to be sold to people who saw the Star Wars movie.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rowling is in hiding, somewhere in Europe. Interpol is hot on her trail for "literary fraud". Her publisher claims he never saw any of the Star Wars movies.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Hmm Voldemort has as much to do with DV as I have with Queen... ;)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Moscool, true, but the Queen was not your mother.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Hmm I think you have read the ending a bit too quickly Marc. No connection whatsoever...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts