Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get paid weekly, and I have several fixed payments which come out of my account at certain times of the month (always on the same day). For examply, my mortgage payments come out on the 3rd and 18th (+/- 2 days). In addition there are other variable expenses I need to budget for. I've gotten into situations where it looks like I have a lot of money in my account but in reality, there is just enough to cover the bills that will come out in 2-3 weeks (including the salary I will receive in the coming weeks). What I want to be able to do is to enter my current account balance, check off those bills that have been paid, adjust any variable expense budget numbers as necessary, and have it tell me how much money I'll have left in my account at the end of each week for the next month.

I have been using an Excel spreadsheet to forecast how much money I will have 3 - 5 weeks in the future to make sure I can always pay the bills. However, I'm wondering if maybe there is some prebuilt software already available that would do this for me. I've tried Quicken but it only deals with Monthly budgets it seems like. If this is not the case, please clue me in. Otherwise, if someone knows of some software that might be helpful to me, please let me know.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I use Quicken.

You can setup recurring events at any interval, weekly, daily, monthly, bi-weeking...etc etc

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Personally, I just use iCal. It works for me because I'm visually-minded (I understand a picture quickly and easily).

I always found Quicken to be too much work; especially if you get a little behind in entering payments and the like.

I think with a little work you could pretty easily set up something simple in either AppleWorks (database) or FileMaker Pro though, that would be quick and easy to keep on top of but can be as complex as you need.

In fact there's a good chance someone else has done it for you; check for a template in the AppleWorks and Filemaker user groups on the web.

Quicken is really just a glorified (custom designed) database.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Gordguide: I hadn't thought of using iCal. Neat idea.

I've been trying out a rather neat little app called Money 1.2 Not robust enough for business, but it does the trick for household budgeting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts