Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, with all this talk these days about Safari and IE and Netscape, I have some questions. I have always used IE for no perticular reason but now I'm wondering if it's all the good. I ask since in another thread here someone thanked the mayor for the flag in the address bar which I now see as I fire up netscape. anyway, is netscape a better browser? Which leads me to another question, who owns these two browsers. For some reason I though Netscape was with AOL? No, yes? I think that should do for now. Thanks all. Talk to you again.
timmer

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
In my opinoin, Netscape sucks badly, especially version 7. It screwed pages up and deleted form parts on pages... ugh, worst browser I've ever seen in action.

If you have 10.2, check out Apple's "Safari." Using it now -- nicest browser for sure. Unfortunantly, it's still a beta version, but is by far better than both IE and Netscape.

And yes, Netscape is owned by, or partnered with, AOL. (ugh) :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
The only downside to Safari is (at the moment, and in part as I've said in other threads) that it lacks the niceties that make IE slightly more "usable" than Safari (I've barely used Safari so some of my beefs may not be completely sound):

* Macromedia Flash plug-in runs a lot faster
* Autocomplete (Safari only supports URL autocomplete, AFAIK)
* Password saving
* Security?
* Font sizes are rendered incorrectly
* No CMD + Drag to manually scroll over a page

Having said that, Safari is a lot more standards compliant that almost all of the browsers out there, and is very solid for being a beta... but it is definitely not the be all, end all of browsers -- there's just too many bells and whistles missing to really prove it to be better than the competition. Once Apple begins to build in various application integration with it's other iApps (including spell checker), it definitely will kick some serious booty.

Ciao for now,

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
* Password saving

Safari has saved all my passwords so far.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I for one am glad that Safari has a lighter aproach to the broswer.

I certainly dont need auto complete or perhaps much else than Safari already has.

It is hands down the fastest browser on my machine running 10.2 and I am totally convinced that it is in fact the "be all, end all of browsers".

I would rather have this speed and stability, than anything that any other browser has offered so far.

Parousia

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I think by password saving he meant "Keychain Integration". Sites that save a password in a cookie work fine, but browsers that can take advantage of the Keychain will automatically enter your user/pass when you go to a website you have logged out of.

Check out Chimera Navigator (can be found at Mozilla.org), it is still in Beta as well (vers. 06) but is just a hair slower than Safari, and does things like Shockwave/Flash better.

I have basically switched to Safari as of me typing this, because it is faster and does render most sites (including ehMac) better than most.

Only the final version will tell, but right now the only thing I miss is Tabs. Here's hoping they don't use a side drawer.

--PB

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've been using Chimera with Chimera Booster and I don't see much of a difference between Chimera and Safari.
Couple of things I don't like about Safari:
1. No right click or Control-click for a contexual menu for Back, Forward, save image, etc.
2. No tabs like Chimera
3. Doesn't resize to fit screen on startup of new window.
4. I would like to see Keychain integrated.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I am now using Safari as my main browser and so far, I am liking it quite a bit. I was very comfortable with IE, so this bare-bones approach to the browser is kinda odd.

Apple MUST put right-click capability into Safari for important stuff (nevermind start making a two-button mouse to begin with...but don't get me started).

Integration into other iApps would be cool.

Oh, and I don't know what it is about this browser...but it brings my scroll-wheel to a snail's pace. I never had that problem in IE or OmniWeb. :mad:

Other than these (so far?)...I am liking Safari.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
I liked Safari as soon as I started using it.Then it crashed this morning. The old 'unexpectedly quit' alert. I downloaded it again with the same results so I did a search to find all the bits and pieces. I trashed cache, plist etc. and all is well again. ;)
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
One thing I have noticed in the last couple of days is that the red folders (New posts on this topic) go on for a page and a half (Town Hall). Does enyone else have this problem? Mine don't seem to be cancelling out.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aurora:
One thing I have noticed in the last couple of days is that the red folders (New posts on this topic) go on for a page and a half (Town Hall). Does enyone else have this problem? Mine don't seem to be cancelling out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the exact same problem before, but now it doesn't do it anymore... weird, but what do you expect, it's a beta.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts