Votes: 1 1.4%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I've tried them all...

Safari: seems best for my mac I guess - but it isn't as fast as "Chrome beta 4.0.201.1"

Chrome: super fast but the only problem is with the Chrome is that i can hear my fans go nutsss if I use it for more than 5 minutes or so.. (not sure why!)

Firefox: it's good, but I got bored of the interface

Opera: seems pretty good but not as fast as Chrome

So what browser do you guys like best & suggest, please vote and leave a comment.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
my experience is Safari first then Firefox for everything Safari can not do.
You will never be able to live with one browser that is fact..
Safari can not handle my login to a Government Tax system for filing online, also programing of routers.
so therefore i use firefox.

but everything else is safari.. annoying but it is life.

i have not voted in your poll because it does not have an option of combos...
i can not vote for one browser, when life is not that easy.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
What, no iCab choice? Recently shown to be the quickest of the bunch.

But then again iCab isn't free. But Omniweb is. ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What, no iCab choice? Recently shown to be the quickest of the bunch.

But then again iCab isn't free. But Omniweb is. ;)
Is iCab the browser that I guess specialized in optimizing speed and like have a bunch of tabs? I'll research it, and I've never heard of Omniweb... I'll check that out as well..

Thanks fellas :)

·
Premium Member
17,772 Posts
Still like Camino especially with slo-pitch cable connection.

·
Registered
619 Posts
For making the web look good: Safari. Speed-wise Safari has come a long way (4.0 is quite nice).

I used to prefer Camino, but I change enough things in bookmarks regularly (iPhone syncing and all that) that I want the changes to be there without having to do a whole export/import procedure. If Safari could handle cookies the way Camino or Firefox do then it would be no contest. Alternatively, if Camino used the Webkit rendering engine it would be my choice.

So much for a decision -_-;;

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
I've tried them all, and in the end I kept three.

1. Safari. I use it for everything.
2. I keep Firefox around to test web pages, to troubleshoot Safari, and because a number of my clients use it.
3. Flock is an interesting project with a unique "social/photo networking" angle so I keep it around to follow its development.

I used to also keep iCab and Camino around for the same reasons as Flock but after years of keeping an eye on them they really don't seem to be going anywhere fast so I finally decided to stop wasting my time with them. It's kind of like waiting for Windows to fix the bugs, you know? :)

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
FWIW, if you want the speed you find with Chrome but use Safari check out the WebKit nightlies. Chrome 4.0 betas have a newer version of WebKit than what you have in Safari 4.0.3. The WebKit nightlies tend to stay a day or two ahead of the Chrome betas but that really shouldn't matter to anyone.

Firefox is worth keeping around - I prefer the WebKit based browsers (Safari and Chrome) for the speed but some sites still don't like WebKit based browsers and Firefox will work just fine on them. :)

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Hey guys.

I've tried them all...

Firefox: it's good, but I got bored of the interface
Then I guess you didn't customize it to your liking. ;)

That is why I stay a Firefox devotee. It is open source and there are hundreds of addons to customize it in almost every way imaginable. I have been using FireFox almost since it first came out and I have now customized it to the point that it is almost an extension of the way I think and work.

Consequently every time I try and give Safari a whirl I find it to be a frustrating experience. It doesn't "fit" me. I have to adjust and accommodate it.

Until I can "tailor" Safari to fit me the way I can with Firefox, a Firefox devotee I will be... :D

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
I like Safari, but like it less since it went 64 bit. I'm not willing to give up 64 bit, but Adblock no longer works. I feel like I went from TIVO to bunny ears, although I'm better informed about what websites want to sell me...

I use Firefox for company sites that haven't been authored for Safari.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Firefox and Safari from a non IT individual

·
Registered
10 Posts
I personally use Safari for almost everything but keep firefox around because there are some things that it handles better then safari.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm using Safari now, but like many, occasionally when I have to fill out forms, it doesn't work so I keep firefox around for those times.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Camino for nearly everything, Safari for whatever Camino renders useless.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Safari, mostly because of MobileMe bookmark syncing, but also because it's fast, lightweight, and just gets the hell outta my way.

I keep Firefox around for what few things still don't work 100% with it (which these days is pretty much just my work's internal employee site).

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
The best browser was Mosaic - without Flash, Java, and other bits of bloat that slow everything down.

But for modern browsers, I think FireFox is the best simply because of the add-ins that make web browsing bearable, like AdBlock. FlashBlock, and AutoStopPlay. This despite the lagging rendering speed and general slowness of FireFox. Camino might be a good alternative, but I could never get Camino add-ins to work.

Safari is a good browser, but without add-ins, it is relegated to select sites that are not heavy on adding useless animated crud. Safari remains broken on many sites, so even if someone likes Safari, they end up needing FireFox or Interglitch Exploder anyways. One of the advantages of Safari is that it has a far more efficient interface that conserves screen space for the web page - something that can be done with FireFox but only with a great deal of effort and lots of noodling with various files. The other advantages include: the Activity Window, which FireFox lacks; as well as being able to do bulk downloads from a text file listing, another thing FireFox can't do.

And that is the best thing about OSX, one can have a number of browsers and use them at will; unlike Windoze where one is always stuck with IE, and any other browsers can not take advantage of any advanced features because Windoze allows IE only. I have and use a number of browsers for various tasks, and all cooperate with no problems under OSX.

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
On a Mac, which sites don't work for you in Safari?

I haven't used Internet Explorer on my work PC for years, except to test stuff. I've used Safari since the day it came out, and it works fine for every purpose.

What makes you think Windows *requires* IE??

The best browser was Mosaic - without Flash, Java, and other bits of bloat that slow everything down.

But for modern browsers, I think FireFox is the best simply because of the add-ins that make web browsing bearable, like AdBlock. FlashBlock, and AutoStopPlay. This despite the lagging rendering speed and general slowness of FireFox. Camino might be a good alternative, but I could never get Camino add-ins to work.

Safari is a good browser, but without add-ins, it is relegated to select sites that are not heavy on adding useless animated crud. Safari remains broken on many sites, so even if someone likes Safari, they end up needing FireFox or Interglitch Exploder anyways. One of the advantages of Safari is that it has a far more efficient interface that conserves screen space for the web page - something that can be done with FireFox but only with a great deal of effort and lots of noodling with various files. The other advantages include: the Activity Window, which FireFox lacks; as well as being able to do bulk downloads from a text file listing, another thing FireFox can't do.

And that is the best thing about OSX, one can have a number of browsers and use them at will; unlike Windoze where one is always stuck with IE, and any other browsers can not take advantage of any advanced features because Windoze allows IE only. I have and use a number of browsers for various tasks, and all cooperate with no problems under OSX.

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
One of the advantages of Safari is that it has a far more efficient interface that conserves screen space for the web page - something that can be done with FireFox but only with a great deal of effort and lots of noodling with various files.
What???!!! Two clicks to remove the navigation bar and the bookmarks bar and you have the maximum amount of screen space possible in Firefox. :confused: You are way off the mark today EP.

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
...Safari remains broken on many sites, so even if someone likes Safari, they end up needing FireFox or Interglitch Exploder anyways.
Wow! No Safari isn't broken on many sites, many sites continue to use code that is non-standards compliant. The sites are broken not Safari. Jeessh!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts