Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how much memory one should allot to the browser. I am using IE 5.1.6 version with OS 9.2 and I constantly get "not enough memory" messages.
As a rule of thumb what would be a goodly amount of memory to allot??

Thanks for the help .

Peter

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i make sure virtual memory is turned OFF and File Sharing is OFF.

I have 9.2.2 and my IE 5.1.6 set to 40 MB RAM.

"A lot" is better than less than a lot.

It also depends on the plug-ins you have and what kind of websites you view.

That is of course relative to your RAM situation.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
How much built-in memory do you have and how much is allocated to EI? (go to the IE application icon and click on it ONCE-go to File Menu and select "Get Info"-go to the drop menu (that says "General Information" )and select "Memory" You can increase the preferred setting there, thus allowing more memory for multiple web pages etc. to be opened without memory warnings)

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I've found even in 9, when upping to upwards of 90 megs of RAM, IE still pops up out of memory, and when checking the About this Computer... to show the memory consupmtion, its only using maybe a quarter of the 90 I gave it, so I moved to solely X and Safari. Anyone know why this happens?

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i believe the issue of "out of memory" even though you have allocated oodles of RAM and they are not being utlilized is due to the fact that the app. probably is eating up system resources.

I would be that when you get that error and you check about this computer, you will see the system ram almost if not totally full...

bad coding i believe is the root cause

try turning off the IE cache, i.e. (no pun) set it to zero and see if that helps

it did help with old netscape 4.8

·
Registered
124 Posts
I always encounter the same problem aswell.
As Chealion has mentioned, even generously allocating ram still prompts a lack of memory message, even though actual consumption is a fraction of what's allocated. Even having the cache set to zero doesn't seem to help. The only band aid I've found is quiting the browser everyso often during long sessions.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
I use IE 5.1 with OS9.1 and have 26 megs allocated to it. I open and use multiple pages at a time and never get a memory error. ( 2 pages of ehMac, an icon site and eBay are common scenarios). In fact, I find it quite stable and quick. Maybe I'm lucky, but I have no complaints with this version. (I prefer OE4.5 for e-mail)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts