Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Team,

At my request, the board of directors has granted me a medical leave of absence so I can focus on my health. I will continue as CEO and be involved in major strategic decisions for the company.

I have asked Tim Cook to be responsible for all of Apple’s day to day operations. I have great confidence that Tim and the rest of the executive management team will do a terrific job executing the exciting plans we have in place for 2011.

I love Apple so much and hope to be back as soon as I can. In the meantime, my family and I would deeply appreciate respect for our privacy.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I do consider Jobs' work has been essential to Apple's success in recent years, I don't consider that he needs to be there on a day to day basis to assist Apple.

Since he is suppose to be involved in the strategic direction, I don't think his absence will have that much impact on the company. I am sure that the stock price will drop as uninformed/unintelligent investors will freak out. In the long run, Jobs won't always be there, somebody will have to take over and Apple will have to stand on its own again without the Jobsian crutch.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
This is his third leave iirc. I would say that this time I am REALLY wondering if this is it. I don't mean "it" as in a terminal situation but maybe he might relent to this ongoing siege against his health (and maybe urging from his family?) to slow down.

·
peek-a-boo
16,647 Posts
I think apple will continue it's explosive growth regardless.

I hope he benefits from his leave and whatever ails him resolves.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a bad feeling about this....I know it's not the first leave of absence that he's taken but I believe it will be the last :-(.

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Oh ****, there's going to be a run on that stock when Steve bites the dust.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Oh ****, there's going to be a run on that stock when Steve bites the dust.
Not really a subtle or discreet way of saying it...

My first thought is, it would be a sad day to see such a talented entrepreneur and American icon gone... But yeah, I missed Apple stock when it was much lower (Wanted to buy stock, but didn't have the money), but I haven't purchased stock later in the game for this very reason. When Steve eventually does pass on, be unfortunately sooner with illness or much later, so much of the success is tied to Steve, and I'm afraid the stock would take a beating.

Would Apple succeed after Steve? Probably. They certainly have surmounted an enormous war chest to keep them around for decades.

Would they be as successful without Steve Jobs? I don't think so. Steve is the heart and soul of Apple. It would be a very sad day in Apple land when he goes.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Perhaps some of you should wait for more detailed info before you burry ol' Steve Jobs six feet under.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Perhaps some of you should wait for more detailed info before you burry ol' Steve Jobs six feet under.:rolleyes:
I'm not speculating at all on Steve's current condition, just commenting on the fact that Apple's shares are taking a bit of a beating on the slightest word about Steve health, and the inevitable truth that one day, Steve, like all of us, will be 6 feet under.

I'll wait for more detailed info whenever Steve decides to share, but tell that to shareholders. ;)

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
No doubt the stock price will be affected, typical of the Wall St. bunch to jump and panic at the slightest breeze. Sold the little I had at $266.

I wish SJ all the best and a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I hope Steve continues to defy the odds as he has proven time and time again. Defying the odds is what Apple has done under Steve's leadership and has led to all of us congregating here, sharing our love of our much needed distractions in this day and age. Let's face it, he hasn't looked well in recent appearances and it was quite odd that Steve never showed the MacBook Air on stage at the last Keynote. It is never the same without him and I hope he gets well really soon. Says a lot that stock prices and a blatant disregard for a human being suffering are the theme of many reactions to this news. Says so much about the mindset of so many people. A real shame. My prayers for "Uncle Steve," hope he is revealing the iPhone 5 to us with that unequivocal flair.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
The NYT had a bit more info than a lot of the other reports, quoting an unnamed, unofficial source with knowledge of the situation. (one suspects it's someone at Apple who the NYT has reason to trust - this isn't the National Enquirer...)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/technology/18apple.html

A person with knowledge of the situation said that Mr. Jobs suffers from immune system issues common with people who have received liver transplants and that, as a result, his health suffers from frequent “ups and downs.”

In recent weeks, Mr. Jobs began a down cycle and slowed his activities at Apple, said the person, who refused to be identified because he was not authorized to discuss Mr. Jobs’s condition. Mr. Jobs has been coming to the office about two days a week and has appeared increasingly emaciated, the person said. He has frequently had lunch in his office, rather than in the company cafeteria, the person said.
Whatever the reason, I wish Steve well and hope he returns to good health (and Apple) soon.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I heard Apple stock is down 7% in Germany
(USA Markets are down today because of the holiday)

Shame. Steve might miss the award to the 10 billionth purchaser on the App store.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Tomorrow, Apple will announce blockbuster earnings beating all previous quarters. Apple will announce over 6 million iPads have been sold along with strong numbers of iPhones, iPod Touches and MacBook Airs. They will announce the AppStore as a huge, instant success and talk about the product pipeline as never being stronger. Steve Jobs won't be there but the analysts will no doubt ask questions. Tim Cook will have all the right answers and the world will continue to turn. The company share price has already been discounted due to the belief that Jobs is the key to Apple's success and his health is fragile. However, people also see that Apple is printing money, that the Steve Jobs doctrine pervades the company's ethos and that the product pipeline is stronger than any other company (seriously, would we even be having this discussion if Steve Ballmer's health was in question - Microsoft stock would likely rise!). As EhMax alluded to, it might be a good time to buy shares (if that's what you are into). But more importantly it’s a time to thank Steve Jobs, to offer him and his family good wishes and to stop for a moment and think about your own mortality.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Tomorrow, Apple will announce blockbuster earnings beating all previous quarters. Apple will announce over 6 million iPads have been sold along with strong numbers of iPhones, iPod Touches and MacBook Airs. They will announce the AppStore as a huge, instant success and talk about the product pipeline as never being stronger. Steve Jobs won't be there but the analysts will no doubt ask questions. Tim Cook will have all the right answers and the world will continue to turn. The company share price has already been discounted due to the belief that Jobs is the key to Apple's success and his health is fragile. However, people also see that Apple is printing money, that the Steve Jobs doctrine pervades the company's ethos and that the product pipeline is stronger than any other company (seriously, would we even be having this discussion if Steve Ballmer's health was in question - Microsoft stock would likely rise!). As EhMax alluded to, it might be a good time to buy shares (if that's what you are into). But more importantly it’s a time to thank Steve Jobs, to offer him and his family good wishes and to stop for a moment and think about your own mortality.
Very well said brother! That was excellent. Here is wishing SJ a speedy recovery.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts