Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently it is a thing now as I read recently on LinkedIn that someone considers themselves a "brand architect".

With this (and in so many other ways) the English language is so mutable as to become utterly meaningless. You can say whatever you want, come up with your own definition and then "boom" a new word.

I think I need to start learning Mandarin or Cree so that things actually have meaning and make sense. The English language is f**ked up and the games being played by even Websters admitting a few words every year into the lexicon willy-nilly is deplorable.

I fully understand that language is ever changing but what the f**k is a brand architect? I guess it is the same thing or along the lines of a garbage engineer... who used to be called a garbageman.

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
*SNIP*
I fully understand that language is ever changing but what the f**k is a brand architect? *SNIP*.
A professional bullshitter maybe, like a PR person? At least they're well on their way to proving they indeed are "brand architects" - they have the bullshit part down pat :)

Cheers

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,490 Posts
I would credit the term with enough meaning to make sense. If you have several brands in one organization there are ways to make those brands support each other. In many companies, the brands work in parallel.

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand_architecture

However out here where I live (and probably you too) the concept has that heady barnyard aroma of male bovine excrement.............
I would credit the term with enough meaning to make sense. If you have several brands in one organization there are ways to make those brands support each other. In many companies, the brands work in parallel.

Yes I know and that is my gripe.

architecture

noun
the profession of designing buildings, open areas, communities, and other artificial constructions and environments, usually with some regard to aesthetic effect. Architecture often includes design or selection of furnishings and decorations, supervision of construction work, and the examination, restoration, or remodeling of existing buildings.
the character or style of building:
the architecture of Paris; Romanesque architecture.
the action or process of building; construction.
the result or product of architectural work, as a building.
buildings collectively.
a fundamental underlying design of computer hardware, software, or both.
the structure of anything:
the architecture of a novel.

With definition 7 it means that anything, anything at all is architectural.

The architecture of clothes, shoes, WiFi, socks, glass, ice, cells, any living thing, excrement, religion etc., etc. etc.

The dilution of a word to mean almost anything is a disservice to any language and semantics IMO "brand architect" or "fill in the blank architect" is just a way for someone to feel and sound more important and qualified than they really are, just like garbage engineer as opposed to being a garbageman.

·
Premium Member
42,490 Posts
The dilution of a word to mean almost anything is a disservice to any language and semantics IMO "brand architect" or "fill in the blank architect" is just a way for someone to feel and sound more important and qualified than they really are, just like garbage engineer as opposed to being a garbageman.
Agreed. I read a futuristic short story once in which common labourers had the lowest status in society--and were billed "junior executives."

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
It's sad that people feel they need an important title to make their tasks seem more worthwhile.

Chris,
Forum Post Architect

·
Premium Member
42,490 Posts
It's sad that people feel they need an important title to make their tasks seem more worthwhile.

Chris,
Forum Post Architect
Brilliant post! You're being promoted to Thread Support Architect, Second Class!

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Chris,
Forum Post Architect
Indeed.

It will only get worse with Trump as President, he will want to be called something like "The Most Glorious and Esteemed Grand Potentate of the Greatest Nation on Planet Earth and the Universe." ;)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
Hi Tilt. How are things going for you and yours?
All well, old friend :) Hope the same with you!

Cheers
The Grand Architect ;)
Morning, mes amis. Yes, great to see the "once and future king" (aka Tilt) back in ehMacLand once again. You have been missed in The Shang, mon ami. Paix.

·
Premium Member
42,490 Posts
I half expected this thread to snowball out of control, like that old "spam reported" one.

Chris,
Challenge Design Architect
It could still happen....

MacFury
Architect of Fear

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
A Brand Architect will be invaluable in directing industrial synergies to generate a positive feedback from guest users within the commercial milieu of the financing entity.

The term is on of many that allow disposable peons the illusion of importance in lieu of financial compensation and actual career advancement.

·
Premium Member
42,490 Posts
I suppose, but I'd be really surprised.

Chris,
Doubt Architect
Give it a little time, Chris... who knows?

MacFury
Architect of Faint Hope
Pitiful Dreams Division

·
Registered
807 Posts
I appreciate your optimism MacFury.

Chris,
Architect of Thread Derailment.
Heh, reminds me of the last place I worked where everytime you turned around someone was hired or promoted to VP of somethingorother. I think it was getting close to as many VP's as directors and managers.

My colleague and I the promoted our selves (and created Id badges for ourselves) VP of TCB and VP of Slacks.
Gotta love when your the guy that sets up and installs the ID card software :)

BReligion

1 - 20 of 22 Posts