Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I will be traveling for the next 2 months, I am wondering what is the best- bringing with me my original OSX install CD or install OSX on my external Firewire drive which I am bringing with me for backing up. To install on the external drive, do I boot off the install disk and then install on to the Firewire drive? Will the drive show up as an option for install? I never used CarbonCopyCloner. Maybe that's the way to go?

· Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't quite understand the cloning thing. Is that just to have exactly what I have on my MacBOok presently? The cloning will save all my settings, etc.? I always like manually copying things over. I never did trust something that does it for me. I downloaded CC. Maybe I should do the clone and try booting off of it?

· Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good. SO, when I eventually return home, I will want to transfer all those files over to my G5. How exactly would I do that? Copy over the cloned drive and go from there? Or can you manually extract files from a clone?

· Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Didn't notice that comment about PPC/Intel. I would be doing the clone of my MacBOok (Intel) but I have a G5 (PPC) as my other machine. There's a problem with that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.