Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I wrote up something bigger last time, but ehmac swallowed up my post I guess.

situation - running vista on a macbook pro using bootcamp

problem - fans running constantly at 6000rpm, annoying as hell, feels like its going to blow up soon. The computer is idle, less than 10% cpu usage, its not all that hot either...

solution - ??? does anyone know of any programs that will let me control how fast my fans spin? or set a maximum speed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I already have a lot of software for windows compared to almost none for my mac, I'm getting tempted to dump my macbook pro for a windows alternative if bootcamp keeps doing this :(

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Windows doesn't regulate CPU speeds like Mac OS X does. Get any PC laptop and you'll have the same thing -- fans running full blast to keep the system cool. I notice my MBP fans do run loud when I'm in Windows.. which is probably why I don't use Windows much except to play the odd game. Unfortunately if you can't get yourself to use Mac OS X, then there's not much point in keeping the MBP is there? Me... I ain't ever going back to PC...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have Ubuntu and Windows XP running in parallels and both work really well, fast, quiet and without problems.

It's just with boot camp the fans are running at max speed despite the computer being idle. It would be fine if I was playing games, but...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Are you running the latest Boot Camp? Miht sound like a stupid question, but, you never know. If you are, try re-installing the Boot Camp drivers and see if that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.