Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to use Bootcamp to install Windows 7 Pro. My computer is a Core i5 iMac with 3 TB hard drive and 16GB ram. I have to retail Windows 7 installer disc. Heres my issue, when I load bootcamp it tell's me.

The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition.
The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows.

I've already wen't ahead and repaired permissions & verified the disc in the recovery partition, both passed. Did I miss something? How can I fix this? :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Also I only have 1 Partition, the main Macintosh HD one. And i recently re-formatted my machine. Besides that i'm very lost.
which format did you use for your macintosh Drive? hoping GUID and hfs [ mac os extended journaled ]

otherwise do it again..
then make sure you have the latest version of boot camp too. only 64 Bit windows will work..

·
Premium Member
16,139 Posts
A Google search shows that you sure aren't alone with the problem, but one common thread for some models was that using a 3TB drive was too big, and also depended on the software and versions.

Maybe try a google search???

And no, I don't do Windows nor BootCamp etc. but I hope you find a solution.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
I used to use the bootcamp option for installing windows, but found it was just not needed for what I was using Windows for. Are you needing Windows for some heavy work? Or simply for some word processing and office apps? If so, I would recommend going with a virtual machine and save the headaches of partitions, dual booting and all that. Install is easy and quick and its just as functional.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I used to use the bootcamp option for installing windows, but found it was just not needed for what I was using Windows for. Are you needing Windows for some heavy work? Or simply for some word processing and office apps? If so, I would recommend going with a virtual machine and save the headaches of partitions, dual booting and all that. Install is easy and quick and its just as functional.
+1, unless you're gaming. Gaming under Windows via Parallels or VMWare is non-functional, to say the least.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
which format did you use for your macintosh Drive? hoping GUID and hfs [ mac os extended journaled ]

otherwise do it again..
then make sure you have the latest version of boot camp too. only 64 Bit windows will work..
It's GUID and Mac OS Extended Journaled. I have everything up to date, and I have a 64bit version of Win 7 Pro & Win 8 Pro

A Google search shows that you sure aren't alone with the problem, but one common thread for some models was that using a 3TB drive was too big, and also depended on the software and versions.

Maybe try a google search???

And no, I don't do Windows nor BootCamp etc. but I hope you find a solution.
I've google searched for hours and hours.. nothing helps! but thanks anyways :)
+1, unless you're gaming. Gaming under Windows via Parallels or VMWare is non-functional, to say the least.
Unfortunately It's for running audio production software for my sound design class. So I need full power! Normally we use Mac OS X and thats great, but I have 1 class that uses windows.

Try re-partitioning with Disk Utility, rather than Boot Camp Assistant. It doesn't matter what kind you create, because you should be able to boot from the Windows disk and use it to format the partition as NTFS and install Windows.
You can then download the Boot Camp support software from Apple and install it from Windows.

Boot Camp Support Software 5.0.5033
I've tried doing this & also using terminal. Both got the partition problem out of the way, but then when i'm in the Windows Installation it wont let me install on the new partition i've made. Even after re-partitioning it to NTFS.

Maybe it'll help knowing that I recently installed a 3TB hard drive in the machine (about 2 - 3 months ago). I did do a complete fresh install of OS X ML and have had absolutely no issues (besides it not letting me install window).. :confused:

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
Maybe it'll help knowing that I recently installed a 3TB hard drive in the machine (about 2 - 3 months ago). I did do a complete fresh install of OS X ML and have had absolutely no issues (besides it not letting me install window).. :confused:
That's your problem. It is a known problem with Windows even their backup software won't backup to a 3TB drive. :ptptptptp:mad: I have had the problem myself, just don't remember the fix, sorry. What I did remember was there was allot of google involved.

Mac or OSX is not your problem. Bootcamp I don't know but you want to include in your search 3TB

This may help you.
How to install and boot to over 2TB drive in Windows 7??? Steps?

Also report your findings and fixes if any as I will be doing this when I get my next iMac with a 3TB fusion drive.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
That's your problem. It is a known problem with Windows even their backup software won't backup to a 3TB drive. :ptptptptp:mad: I have had the problem myself, just don't remember the fix, sorry. What I did remember was there was allot of google involved.

Mac or OSX is not your problem. Bootcamp I don't know but you want to include in your search 3TB

This may help you.
How to install and boot to over 2TB drive in Windows 7??? Steps?

Also report your findings and fixes if any as I will be doing this when I get my next iMac with a 3TB fusion drive.
This issue has been fixed, by the way. It used to not be supported (3TB drive w/ BC partition).

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This issue has been fixed, by the way. It used to not be supported (3TB drive w/ BC partition).
as far as my iMac is concerned it's not been fixed. I have everything up to date.. and still Bootcamp wont let me partition my Hard Drive. So I used terminal to do it, that works but then the windows 7 installation wouldn't let me install to the partition i made for it.. even after reformatting the new partition to NTFS. :(

·
Premium Member
17,859 Posts
Just thinking back a few years. Because this seems to be a size issue with your version of Windows 7, it is possible that the Windows partition has to be the first partition on the HD.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Is your 3TB drive a Fusion drive? I've read of problems with BootCamp on Fusion drives.

·
Premium Member
16,139 Posts
as far as my iMac is concerned it's not been fixed. I have everything up to date.. and still Bootcamp wont let me partition my Hard Drive. So I used terminal to do it, that works but then the windows 7 installation wouldn't let me install to the partition i made for it.. even after reformatting the new partition to NTFS. :(

At this point if I was doing this with all such problems, I'd try using a separate external hard drive and maybe Boot Camp and Windows would then work properly.

I assume that the Windows installer is legit and not a hack copy that could be goofy, and the partition/formatting is done properly and confirmed.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
Often, with all other things being correct, if you experience boot camp troubles it can help to run a time machine backup on the Mac side, erase and install fresh then while you have a fresh install on the Mac side create your boot camp partition and install windows. Then once you have windows installed and running go back to the Mac side and import your backup.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.