Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have decided to go back to University next year and I'm looking for an excellent backpack that can handle the harsh and wet weather in Vancouver, B.C. I'm going to be ordering the G4 iBook 14" very soon. I want to be able to take the iBook and all those heavy books to and from University and perhaps in the outdoors. Ohhhhhh man those darn heavy books....hehe....or maybe not?

I've been looking at booqbags and Spire USA as I have found what I'm looking for in a backpack/computer bag. The only problem I'm having is deciding on which one would suit my needs the best.

Here is the link to the BooqPaq3 that I'm looking at: http://www.booqbags.com It seems that you will need to click on backpacks as it doesn't link directly to the page correctly.

I'm actually looking at getting the BP3 System that comes with the sleeve, backpack, pda and cell phone holder. The problem I'm having is, how well is the notebook compartment protected? After placing the iBook in the bag, will the books in the front press against the iBook? Or is there enough padding in the sleeve and compartment of the bag to protect it? What do you think? If anyone has this bag can you fit enough books in the front of it? The pictures are hard to tell...oh another thing that bugs me and I can't tell from the pictures is the straps and padding in the back? I can't tell if it is just foam and if the foam gets wet will it be ruined over time?

The other backpack I'm looking to get is from Spire USA: http://www.spireusa.com/products/ME3.html

The META looks big, but it is what I'm looking at for size from Spire USA. The thing I love about this backpack is the ample room for storage, which is awesome for the indoor/outdoor type of guy I am. I also notice that the notebook compartment has a separate sleeve that suspends the iBook away from the other books in the bag. I sort of like this concept, but I'm not sure how practical it is when lugging around the backpack on your back.
What I really love about this style of backpack is the straps and the mesh in the back, the photos really show what type of support you're getting.

I'm so torn between the two bags as to which one is built better over the other and if I go with the BP3 from booqbags will the iBook survive in the backpack with other books?

I wish I could afford both and try them out for 30 days :D If anyone here has bought or owns one of the above bags, I would love to hear your thoughts on them.

Thanks...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Moonsocket

Thank you for the offer but it's not quite what I'm looking for in a backpack/notebook bag. Otherwise I would take it off your hands.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Booq Bags are freakin unbelievable in terms of quality... I have one here and I love it. the only issue with my bag could be that I find it a bit small.. but besides that there are pockets and more pockets to put stuff and they are really comfortable to wear..

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Rtc,

Do you find that the laptop compartment of the booqbag is sufficient for holding a laptop with books in the other compartment? I just can't tell how much protection for padding is used in the laptop compartment of the bag, if you could explain it would help a lot

Thanks..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cool, UBC eh? I graduated from there. So, rain rain rain...

For what its worth, i'm working in London, UK and travel by bike to work in the pouring rain (just as rainy over here). My solution orignally was picking up a Vurt bag from Spire, (great shoulder case bag for my lombard g3). The Spire bag was great, (but now discontinued), and good quality. Although the first shoulder strap i got was pretty flimsy, i wrote to them and they sent me an upgraded one. of course, after 5 years of use, the zipper is a bit jammed, but hey, got 5 years great life out of the bag, (so i would reccomend the company, they seem to really care about the consumer). However, since the bag isn't waterproof, what i've ended up doing is using my bag pretty much as just a sleeve, and i have an external 100% waterproof bag, (www.ortleib.com), which i put the "sleeve" into, ( i also wanted a bag that looked funky too). I reccomend that you take a look at picking up a bag that you like first, and then just getting a sleeve for the ibook. You get alot more versatility, IMHO. Besides, i paid quite a bit for duty etc. to get the Spire bag into canada. So don't rule out getting a nice backpack + sleeve, might even be cheaper, and you get a more versatile option (maybe MEC has some good bags?) Just a thought/other option.

ps, if style is a consideration www.freitag.ch makes funky waterproof bags, and Boblee are cool too...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mono Malo,

Wow!! Thank you so much for that response
You know I didn't even think about your suggestion until now. My brain is spinning from checking out all the companies that provide and make backpacks. It is such a difficult choice as I was looking for a waterproof bag and was thinking of getting the sleeve separate at one point. Now, I think I will explore my options a little more and see what I can come up with. You have provided some excellent links to check out, love the Swiss one :D

Yes UBC, I have lived out in Vancouver for 2 years in the past and I know how wet it can get :D

Thanks once again!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Josh,

Thank you for the link and heads up on that one. I think I know what I want now. You guys have opened me up to a much better market out there and exactly what I'm looking for. I can't believe I left out the mountain and sport shops that deal with weather proofing etc....

·
Registered
23 Posts
you're coming to UBC, sweet man, you'll love it. i'm here right now (1st year engineering), and i bought a backpack (the jacques) for my tibook in the summer from willow design (http://www.willowdesign.com/)
it's somewhat expensive, but it holds my computer very snugly and securely, and my computer is very padded from bumps. the computer goes in a seperate compartment altogether from the rest of your stuff, and it converts very easily into a shoulder bag and has a handle so you can carry it like a briefcase (it also comes with a cell phone pocket, but i don't use it)
it's also made in burnaby (not shoddily in china) and resists water very well (i've never found any water or wetness inside any of the pockets or case at all, the material resists water).

off topic, but what are you planning on taking?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Have a look at my Crumpler store...

http://www.crumplercanada.com/

Since they appeared on the North American radar screen at Macworld a while back, they've been getting great reviews at sites like O'Grady's PowerPage and The Mac Observer.

The designs are very unique, and they're available in all sorts of styles and colours. Have a look and let me know what you think!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi khayman,

Ahhh good old Willow Design, don't you just love Canadian Made stuff?

It sounds crazy after going to college for 3 years and then 5 years later going back to school! :D I'm planning on taking Biology to start and I want to work my way up to Marine Bioligist or by that year I might pick something else depending on what I learn and what I know now.

Right now I'm just looking to see what's out there for backpack style that will hold my iBook G4 14" and books. I know I won't be walking in the rain for hours, but man when it pours out there it just comes down in buckets. What I want to avoid is getting a backpack that when I put the iBook inside and the text books that the books crush the iBook. Somehow I don't see that possible if I have a sleeve that has some padding inside of it. Of course style is important, but I am flexible with that to some point.

Thanks again everyone for your help, you don't see too many of these threads around where you get to hear what others have and if they like it or not.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I'm using a regular book bag from MEC for my iBook. There's a seperate compartment within the main one, separated by just a thin material. It certainly doesn't pad the iBook at all.

I think the iBook can be put in any bag and take it, as long as you don't throw the bag around.

jasonwood - hey those are nice bags
I especially like the john thursday as an ipod case :cool:

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Most of the padding in any kind of back pack computer bag is really just for show. If you have several "tons" of books in your bag along with your iBook, you cannot expect it to be protected. I usually only carry my Ti book around in the bag when I only have a few papers and what not, therefore I cannot realy judge if it would be great for protecting the machine.

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hey jonmon,

The John Thursday is a cool little pouch. I just got my first batch a few days ago. It's not ideal for the iPod because it lacks a hole for the headphones - but you can get around that by using a set of headphones with an elbow at the jack.

The great thing about the John Thursday is that the "belt clip" is without metal and attaches with a clever velcro design that is quite secure. It's designed to attach either to your belt or the straps on the side of almost every Crumpler laptop/camera bag.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have been very well served by my Spire Endo bag that I bought in 2000 (older model) for an original PowerBook G4. It's very well thought out, has a very comfortable strap that my wife threatens to steal on a regular basis, and is practically indestructible. And it was built better than any other bag I've ever owned - the workmanship is perfect and it has stood up to any rain I've been in here on the north shore.

I would highly recommend Spire's products and would be at the top of my list should I ever need to buy another bag.

- Martin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts