Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad:

Not cool @ all. Just about 1 week ago, I was furious about a lack of cust.service with my provider. I get a call from a prospective client (who knows to get a hold of me via phone) who told me that the email was bounced back. :mad: I decide to call again (on Sat night) and finally get someone.

The bottom line is that ISP and domain renewal are very separate and distinct - even when your ISP did all the registration in the beginning. :rolleyes: Why would I renew webspace and not my domain name? :confused:

Oh well... 24-48 hrs before I'm back up. In the mean time, likely missed out on key emails... not pleased at all.

H!

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Ohenri, that truly sucks. I'm rather surprised that you didn't receive advance notice that your domain name was due for renewal. I start getting notices about three months in advance...hope everything gets ironed out for you. Did you at least get your domain name back?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks PG.

You know what the worst is?? I was getting notices but a few @ a time. ISP + Domain name. I just lumped it all together, as they both came from my ISP. So I just figured that it was all part of the pkg. AND to boot, when speaking to a rep over the phone (as I had to change my billing info), he made no mention of the domain renewal. Not that he had to, but I may have intercepted this problem before any of this happened. :rolleyes:

I got the domain back [phew] - notice was emailed to me minutes after getting off the phone. I apparently may be back up as early as Sunday night. This just happened @ the worst time - while setting up meetings overseas. A lesson really....

H!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The truth is, most web space providers do not supply a domain name. In fact, 95 percent of web space providers have a different company run your domain name, while they give you the space - and then just give you one big bill (or in many cases, 2 seperate bills; one for hosting, one for the domain name). The reason it's better to have a domain name seperately is because that way you own it completely and can always cancel, transfer it, or point to a different sever entirely without going through some company to do it for you.

Your hosting company will not automatically renew your domain name if they got a 3rd-party company to register it for you (because they have no control over it, and it's the other company that bills you).

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep Lars - I'm learning all of that right now. Oh well...

H!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts