Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have not been able to find bonjour in the new safari..
if any has figured it out please post.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
And maybe this is even better:

How to start Bonjour on Mac
Wondering how to start the Bonjour service on your mac's Safari in order to connect an AirPlay device? Some forums say it is there, in the bookmarks menu. But it can be hard to find it.

Google "how to start bonjour on mac" and check the first result from Apple, Apple - Support - Bonjour

They talk about the technology, wake on demand, file sharing and all kinds of developer stuff, no sign of "how to use it from Safari", don't give up, check the Bonjour FAQ.... Simplify Networking with Bonjour, Bonjour Network Discovery and Connectivity ... no sign of how to start it. Thanks for the iSheep videos, now let's get back to Google and find the answer.

And the answer: Bonjour is there in the bookmarks, you just have to include it yourself. Preferences > Bookmarks and select "Include Bonjour" under Collections.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
SINC;2547161 And the answer: Bonjour is there in the bookmarks said:
Download the update and try your instructions - let me know how they work out?
:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I’m a bit annoyed by this. I’ve always had bonjour in my bookmarks bar, I used it all the time to manage my printer and other network devices.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just spoke with Apple in Texas - after two days of them researching it as well lol - off the record they said it is gone and done with..
SMH
only reaffirms Tim Cook is dumbing down the OS every update..

They are not MY instructions. I found them online and offered to try and help. So much for any appreciation.
i was appreciative - but angry as it was gone. As I know where to find it but the idiots have removed it.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
just spoke with Apple in Texas - after two days of them researching it as well lol - off the record they said it is gone and done with..
SMH

i was appreciative - but angry as it was gone. As I know where to find it but the idiots have removed it.
Could have saved the phone call - John Clay already mentioned what Apple told you above.

·
Premium Member
15,654 Posts
It's not missing - it's deprecated, and has been removed. :rolleyes:
SMH

That seem like it was a quick and recent decision considering their recent KB post:

macOS Sierra: What is Bonjour?

Bonjour is a networking technology developed by Apple that makes it easy to set up and use devices and services on a network. Because Bonjour-compatible devices and services advertise their availability, it’s easy for you (or an app or service) to find devices and services that you want to use. For example, if you turn on file sharing, other macOS users on your local network see your Mac when they browse.

Published Date: Mar 28, 2017
Another recent Apple OS X dumb-down…???

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That seem like it was a quick and recent decision considering their recent KB post:

so for those of us with security cameras and other non - computer type devices - it makes things more difficult to access these units. so yes apple is dumbing down the user experience to bring it in line with iPad and iPhone - so it when it eventually destroys the mac os it will not be a surprise.

·
Registered
807 Posts

I would actually go the other way (and I am sure the unpopular opinion lol).. I never liked the Bonjour service because it was exactly that.. a dumbed down service that sat and broadcast information advertising itself.. to me that creates unnecessary traffic as well as potential security risk as a device is advertising its existence on a network.

Does it matter in a small home network? Probably not, but conceptually its a nightmare... hello days of NetBIOS all over again :)

BReligion

·
Premium Member
15,654 Posts
I would actually go the other way (and I am sure the unpopular opinion lol).. I never liked the Bonjour service because it was exactly that.. a dumbed down service that sat and broadcast information advertising itself..

OK, but I find it odd that just yesterday I had to use the Bonjour method to add my already existing wireless Canon MX922 print window, but now one with the cleaning utility included.

The "normal" printer install method would not and did not include it. Maybe another way to sell more inkjet printers I wonder…???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Zeroconf directory listings was not a security issue

I would actually go the other way (and I am sure the unpopular opinion lol).. I never liked the Bonjour service because it was exactly that.. a dumbed down service that sat and broadcast information advertising itself.. to me that creates unnecessary traffic as well as potential security risk as a device is advertising its existence on a network.

Does it matter in a small home network? Probably not, but conceptually its a nightmare... hello days of NetBIOS all over again :)

BReligion
Um, that's not how zeroconf works.
And it certainly isn't "the other way round" as there is literally no way of determining the server name unless you are given it without Bon Jour directory listings, and it's absurd to require the user to use sniffers to figure out what servers are on their networks.
Moreover, Safari still has Bonjour, and those servers are STILL "broadcasting", you just can't find out their names.
So this does literally nothing to help security. And being able to get this directory listing most certainly did not create a security nightmare prior.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I know one thing for sure. The fewer things I have online in my home, the simpler my life is. The only controllable switch I have is a pain in the ass and totally unreliable. Get off yer butt, walk across the room and turn on the damn lamp. Set a simple non smart thermostat to 20° and leave it alone year round and save fuel. You will live longer with less aggravation to boot. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts