Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,
A few monthes ago, my Mac collection consisted of a White Mac Book First Gen and a loaded 24" Imac.

When the new macbook pros came out, I instantly ordered one as I had many powerbooks before and just loved the design and performace. I sold my Imac and my wifes macbook and bought her a gen 2 mac book.

Now I sit and think "what the hell did I just do!" I miss my desktop. So, I'll be selling the macbook pro for either another IMac or Mac Pro.

Question is, which upgrade is gonna come first!!

Anyone know? I'm guessing IMac as the Mac Pro is pretty much loaded as is.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have switched away from a desktop and will never ever go back.
If it's screen real estate you're missing, why not buy an external monitor?

I use a MBP at home.
And one at work with a 20" studio, keyboard and mouse.
The G5 is collecting dust.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
My guess is an iMac Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac My guess is that the Mac Pro update is at least a couple months off (I consider the April introduction of an 8-core Mac Pro an update).

But if you're going to go iMac, and you have a Macbook Pro, I too, would wonder why? The two should be close in speed and you probably could hook up an external monitor if monitor size is the problem.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I miss the screen Size, The one piece design, PC Gaming is a big one too.

I miss using the mouse, larger KB, ....

My solution is getting a 23" Cinema. 2 Years ago, I had a great setup with a Powerbook, 23" Cinema and wireless kb and mouse.

I'll wait and see what happens.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
454 Posts
So buy a 23" display and external keyboard and mouse.
My macbook sits on a elevator at home.
Have my 20" beside it. And all my USB peripherals connected to the monitor.

So I plug in my MB power, monitor, USB and sound (takes 5 seconds) and I have all the connivence of a desktop, then unplug and go. Save your mbp.

Cheers,
Nick

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
I'm the same way. I've been switching from desktop to portable so many times throughout the years. I think the only solution for me is to get both. I tried attaching a screen and peripherals to my MBP in the past but I don't like it. I'm very picky about design and simplicity. I know it probably sounds anal but I hate cables! And the MBP when hooked up to peripherals (even with Apple BT KB+MSE) is cluttered and messy to me. At the same time, I find that when you connect a large monitor to the MBP along with other peripherals, while using some demanding apps like photoshop, the fan gets pretty loud which is also annoying. With a desktop like an iMac, it's not as audible. So, I think the only solution for me is to get both. I'll probably get the new 24in iMac when it comes out and an entry level Macbook from the refurb section. Hence, my beloved MBP may be going up for sale....

... I know, it's picky but everybody has their own annoyances.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm the same way. I've been switching from desktop to portable so many times throughout the years. I think the only solution for me is to get both. I tried attaching a screen and peripherals to my MBP in the past but I don't like it. I'm very picky about design and simplicity. I know it probably sounds anal but I hate cables! And the MBP when hooked up to peripherals (even with Apple BT KB+MSE) is cluttered and messy to me. At the same time, I find that when you connect a large monitor to the MBP along with other peripherals, while using some demanding apps like photoshop, the fan gets pretty loud which is also annoying. With a desktop like an iMac, it's not as audible. So, I think the only solution for me is to get both. I'll probably get the new 24in iMac when it comes out and an entry level Macbook from the refurb section. Hence, my beloved MBP may be going up for sale....

... I know, it's picky but everybody has their own annoyances.
Oh my God. Im the exact same way. I have cables - When the new Imacs come out (Imagine 24" Aluminum Imacs?? Sexy!), ill get one.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I miss the screen Size, The one piece design, PC Gaming is a big one too.

I miss using the mouse, larger KB, ....

My solution is getting a 23" Cinema. 2 Years ago, I had a great setup with a Powerbook, 23" Cinema and wireless kb and mouse.

I'll wait and see what happens.

Thanks for the info.
Oh, okay ,that makes some sense. Especially the game thing. The desktop video cards are much better.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
My bet: the multi coloured eMac comes back with - wait for it - the HD replaced by a flash drive.

Look Mum, no moving parts!!!:lmao:
LOL.... um yah. Would be amazing -- but SSD Drives are still *way* too expensive. They only come up to 128GB (afaik) and those drives themselves cost $500-$1K.

If you want a $3K iMac (with only a 128GB Drive) then go ahead -- but SSD drives make more sense for Laptops -- where drives are more expensive anyways, and the lack of moving parts really helps battery life.

For the non-portable iMacs, not so much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts