Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody try this service out yet?

I'm heading to Nashville tomorrow for a late morning interview then flying home same day which means 4 flights and lots of airport time. My company BlackBerry is pretty locked down for what I can use it for and I don't feel like paying roaming data charges on my personal WM device. I signed up for a free 30 day trial of Boingo Mobile so I can use my iPod Touch freely while I'm south. Curious about any real world experience any of you might have.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

I'm heading to Nashville tomorrow for a late morning interview then flying home same day which means 4 flights and lots of airport time. My company BlackBerry is pretty locked down for what I can use it for and I don't feel like paying roaming data charges on my personal WM device. I signed up for a free 30 day trial of Boingo Mobile so I can use my iPod Touch freely while I'm south. Curious about any real world experience any of you might have.
I have been using regular Boingo for over a year now on both my MacBook Pro and my iPhone. They now have software for the laptops that will notify you if there is a Boingo connection nearby. I believe that is what Boingo Mobile does but I never signed up for it, I don't need it that often and it was going to be an extra $10 per month. I just go in the old way if I need to use my iPhone with it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I don't have a huge amount of experience yet, but I can say that it was very fast on my iPhone at the local Starbucks (pretty much any Starbucks in Canada is considered a Boingo hotspot, IIRC). Might be worth it if you really need data access at airports and coffee houses.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually it worked really well. As soon as I entered both Detroit and Nashville airports I was able to connect and use Boingo with my Touch. The only drawback is that my battery drained incredibly fast. Not sure if this is normal or not. I never use the WiFi that much at home. I usual jump on and check the weather or quickly check email. I was using Fring to Google Chat with my wife and my battery was dead before the day was out. It was fully charged when I left in the morning. If I could add it up I could maybe estimate that I used it for maybe less than 3 hours continuously.

But I would recomend it for anyone who is travelling. 30 day free trial is awesome too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've used it a fair bit when travelling to the US, and as well I had success with it in Europe recently.

One minor beef I have is that if you turn the phone off when in a hot spot, you have to go to the Boingo mobile app to reconnect before you can go back to browsing. It would be nice if it at least remembered you (via device ID or something?) for at least a few minutes.

Also, keep in mind that the Boingo service for your phone is totally separate from the wireless access for your laptop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.