Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All this kibbitzing with Sinc and Adam about our new 12" toys (wow that sounded far dirtier than I ment, maybe it's just me) ANYWAY...

...all this makes me start thinking about this Bluetooth connection I now have access of. Last night I started surfing around for add on bits, I had this cool idea of finding a wireless bluetoothheadset and mini bluetooth mouse , sitting in a cafe surfing the web wirelessly ... it's a geek like me's heaven!!

The thing is, it appears everything bluetooth is for cell phones, or cell phones itself...

I found Microsofts monster bluetooth mouse here
Microsoft Bluetooth mouse

But other than that all I could find were adapters to give me Bluetooth, which I don't need. That and the Apple set, that doesn't have a right click and a scroll (yes yes it's an inflammitory remark for you 1 button purists)

So here is the question aka the purpose of this thread, does anyone know of cool devices other than the above mentioned?
Can I just use a headset for a cell phone with my laptop to listen to itunes and record my voice?
Do all these bits require drivers or can they all just 'work' handshaking as the protocol does?

Heres a great article on how it all works I read last night..

web page from 'How stuff works'

So gear me up folks!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have been using BT for a couple of years with my mobile phone, you have to try while driving (no wires)!! I cannot go back.
The thing is you got to have a BT cell phone which at the moment are mainly GSM, which means FIDO or Rogers, if you are not on these networks you might have to switch.
www.howardforums.com
The other thing is I got a camera cell phone which communicates by BT, its amazing to transer the pics into my mac wirelessly now. Been taking shots left right and center. The next toy you might want to check out are the S--- digital video cameras, they now talk BT.
The new PDAs by all the main guys are BT built in, you can sync with your BT mac and surf via a BT cell (GPRS) phone, I also tried the BT GPS module, didn't even get lost in Tokyo. Cool eh? I also hear the new BMWs will have BT access as a wireless option, the car will actually talk to you by voice commands.
BT rocks!
Cheers!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
There's the Logitech Cordless MX for bluetooth with the mx900 mouse whooo
That is a kick-ass product. ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have the MS Bluetooth Mouse, I wouldnt really recommend it since its dongle doesnt work with other devices and it doesn't work to well with other dongles.

But that MX900 WOW! I have the MX700 and love it to death, the MX900 makes me wanna run out and buy one.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hardware envy never stops.
As soon as I got my new PB15 I had to have a bluetooth mouse :D

dibenga - I knew about the microsoft mouse. I saw it at Future Shop. It's BIG

Thanks for the links to the logitech and belkin jonmon and elmer.

I cant wait to get one and be completely wireless on the sofa ;)

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Like the Logitek BT mouse, but website says Windas only...what's up with that?

I suspect it'll work with my 12" Powerbook anyway, but can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Man... I;m officially takin the plunge sometime in the next few days. Just need to get my hands on the D Link adapter, and I'll be off trying my thing. ;) I just got my hands on the Tungsten T (built in BT), and that I cannot wait to start to mess around. I want to play with that remote app that they have for BT enabled deviced. My next sales round, I plan on using that for sure! And that should just be the start... :D

Any known common challenges in getting this to run smoothly??

h

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've never used Bluetooth so I have no idea what your results would be, Ohenri,

Has anyone been using one of these Bluetooth capable PDA's?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Just got my Apple BT mouse. Not too heavy - a little heavier than my MS Optical Intellimouse Explorer.
One unpleasant surprise: I found if you turn it off and the laptop is on and reports "Connection Lost", you can't just turn it on again and start using it, you have to set it up again in bluetooth preferences. EDIT: uh, doh! You just have to click the mouse and it's detected.
A pleasant surprise though - I can still disable my laptop screen and use the laptop keyboard with the wireless mouse. Just connect the VGA cable, close lid and wait for sleep, then click BT mouse, wait for wake, open lid. Screen is disabled and keyboard works.
The mouse battery seems to be going down alarmingly fast so far. Have to see how this plays out in future. EDIT: it seems to have just been a jump at the beginning - the level is staying put at around 85% now.
The tracking is plenty fast for me. And it's not 'jumpy' when you turn it down.
I prefer the '-' level of tension. The slider is inside the mouse.
My parents are using a Microsoft bluetooth mouse in the other room; so far there appear to be no conflicts.

[ October 08, 2003, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: elmer ]

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've read reports that although the MS bluetooth mouse doesn't officially support Mac OSX, it actually will work.. Although I've heard that it doesn't work very well (and I don't believe it has a power off button either, which is a real pain), and it frequently becomes disconnected.. A couple of the reviews I read mentioned that the Logitech MX900 is a better mouse (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?p...RID=3&CONTENTID=7110&countryid=2&languageid=1)

Adam

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The logitech looks cool, I want to find a smaller mouse that I could take on the road with me.

A miniture mouse like this one

kensington mini

but with Bluetooth connectivity

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I just got the MS one in here for testing. I think it will end up as a permanent fixture on my workstation. So far it works great. The 2 buttons on the side don't work but the 2 buttons on top and the scroll work fine. All I did was discover and pair with the bluetooth utility and off I went.

I'll report back if I find any problems.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Good news and bad. Seems once my system goes to sleep, the mouse won't wake it up. No big deal though.

Under 10.3, buttons 3, 4 and 5 work for Expose. Very cool.
Also, the USB bluetooth adapter also works under 10.2 so it can be added to another Non BT Mac.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the continued info Digital_Gary,

When you said Not all the mouse buttons work under 10.2 but do under 10.3? Are they programmable in 10.3? How do they work?

Also that Bluetooth adapter , will it work with the MS mouse only or will it work with oter Bluetooth Devices?

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
There are 5 buttons on the mouse. 1 and 2 function as a regular 2 button mouse under both OS's. The scroll wheel works under both as well. The scroll wheel is a button as well but only works under 10.3. Buttons 4 and 5 are on the side of the mouse and also only work under 10.3. So far, Expose is the only app that gives functionality to buttons 3, 4 and but I only loaded 10.3 last night.

I don't see anywhere to program additional actions for #'s 3, 4 and 5. Since the MS software won't work on OS X yet, I assume you won't be able to program them.

The adapter functions as a regular USB BT adapter. I used it to transfer files to mt GF's Pizmo no problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts