Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just before the pandemic, I purchased one of these for the wife's MBA on a trip to the US. Could not find anybody here to install it. All the Mac shops said bubbles or dust ruined the sheet. Cannot be replaced here, not available for sale.

I may have found one shop, an Apple Authorised retailer. Anybody have any hints on success with this?

·
Super Moderator
132 Posts
All the Mac shops said bubbles or dust ruined the sheet.
Are these shops saying that the sheet that you purchased has the bubbles or dust, or is it the old screen protector that has these defects?

Where did you purchase the one you did? Do they have any more?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Patrick, happy new year! Did I have a question?

Well, I wanted to know if anybody tried installing one of these at home. Shop here charges $30 to install.

Can’t recall how much I paid—$20? on Amazon. Brand is Romy but they don’t seem to have that brand anymore.

Yep, i wear blue light lenses, too. Dunno about Canada but you can't buy real lightbulbs--incandescent--here anymore. The LEDs or halogens are all blue light. According to Jonathan Ott who did time-lapse photography for Disney, plants won't grow & stock won't thrive under these lights.

Then again, the sun pumps out a billion times more blue light than bulbs. (If ya take acid in PA, don't stare at the sun! Maybe some here will get the joke.)

Trouble is, wife’s MBA has the rubber bumper (seal?) around the screen coming off. A lot of 2019 MBAs & MBPs have this problem—maybe gets hot?

Still AppleCare but I don’t want to throw money at a screen Apple will have to remove to replace the bumper.

Wanna hear something else kinda choice? All Apple Authorised Service here want to keep your device while they order parts from Singapore—14 days!

Our Macs are our income. Who would do that?!? But it’s policy here in Thailand. No common-sense that I’ve been using the same service provider for 20 years…

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
Well, I wanted to know if anybody tried installing one of these at home. Shop here charges $30 to install.
I would agree with the suggestions to use eyeglasses with the blue treatment for computer use applied, but the $30 for shop charge for the project seems very reasonable to me. You can also get an anti-glare treatment applied.

If you end up doing it yourself, and to do it properly, you could end up spending much more for a lint removal tool and lint free gloves, and possibly a super sharp utility knife or scalpel and a good blade and a metal straight edge/ruler.

I was a bit surprised that some of the suppliers don't even have a video showing how to apply the film properly and even the third party u-tube videos don't have the user even wearing lint-free gloves!!!

Where is the video or instructions from here...???
All they say is: "Easy to install, 100% scrollable with beautiful images." yeah right... famous last words

I would consider the glasses with treated lenses, I use them myself but they are prescription glasses and cost a hell of a lot more than $30.00!!! My other glasses are Costco reading glasses at $20.00± a pair!!! Even the Optometrist says there are actually good quality.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wear Essilor Crizal Prevencia for distance but don't need spex for reading.

Once I get the screen bumper sorted, I'll spring for the $30. No GST!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts