Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cellphone failed recently and I was looking at trying a Blackberry in order to combine my calls with a PDA. Am currently testing a Palm Tungsten which syncs with my Mac because BB doesn't currently support the Mac OS and the future is unclear according to Research In Motion. Need primarily an Address Book and calendar functionality.

Any BB users out there with opinions either way as to BB vs Tungsten or compatible?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I use the Blackberry 6710. It is a great device and I love it!!! However, as you have heard, it does not work with Macs.

RIM informed me (some time ago though) that they had no intentions of porting software to make it work with Macs.

If you will be using it primarily in a Windows environment (as I do at work), then you will no doubt love it as much as I do. My colleagues and I lovingly refer to the BB as 'CrackBerry' due to its addictive qualities. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
I find it so strange that RIM has no plans for supporting OS X. I know quite a few people who have considered the Blackberry, but passed on it because of the lack of Macintosh support.

I mean, how hard can it be to make a synchronization program? Even some rudimentary version would have many Mac users ecstatic. And there are tons of out of work computer science students who I'm sure are in desperate need of employment. They should at least provide some specifications or information for independent programmers who would like to take it upon themselves to make some connectivity software.

I'm quite sure the money they'd earn from Macintosh users would far outweigh the development costs of a Mac version.

Adam

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
RIM got burned by the MessagePad I think. They were going to develope lots of products for it then the rug got swiped from under them.

Time may eventually heel the wounds though.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
RIM's focus is large enterprise, companies that will buy 10,000 of the things at once.

Corporations with thousands of macs just don't exist anymore.

I looked into this a few years ago when I worked for part of Aliant. Apprently the best chance of mac support would come from an end user service provider cooking something up rather than something from RIM proper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts