Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend only prints in black & white and with Epson printers it seems you need to have both cartridges full to print anything. He has a Stylus Photo 820. Is there any way to print with only a black cartridge? He's not willing to spend over $50 for a colour cartridge he won't use and that will eventually dry up.

So my next question is. . . Is there any printer that will work with only black cartridges for the eMac?

·
Registered
454 Posts
By a cheap laser. I paid $50 american for mine (I looked arond for a while) by that time I paid shipping and duty it cost me about $130. Now I am printing for almost nothing.
It came with a toner and I have got about 300 pages off so far and probly have about another 1000 to go on the toner cartdrige. I worked out my cost of printing with toner, cheap paper and wear and tear to about 3cents a page.

So if you friend is doing lots of printing he cant beat a laser. I would recommend looking for like a Apple laser 630 Pro, It is a post script printer and has a ethernet connection.
If he does decided to get a laser make sure it is
A. Postscript Level 2 or 3
B. Mac compatable
C. Has a ethernet or Parrallel port.

I use a belkin USB to parrallel adapter with mine.
Anywho if he does decided to get a laser it does not hurt to put a seperate post up looking for people's opinion.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the detailed answer Nick! I appreciate it. Nevertheless, I would like to hear some more suggestions before I make any commitment.

It'd be simpler (in my mind at least) to stick with a USB direct connection. Overall, the cheaper this change is the better.

Is there anyone out there who would be interested in buying an Epson Stylus Photo 820 (with a full black cartridge and an empy colour one) or trading for it?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
There are some decent NEW laser printers that are worth looking into as well, and for around only 400$ or so. I know that sounds like a lot, but you can spend that much in 4 months just buying inkjet cartridges.

Laser Toner averages around 100 for a cartridge, and many of the lower end ones do 1500 - 2500 pages. Compare this to a set of cartridges for your 820 (mine too!), around 40-45$ for a new black one, and it does maybe 300 pages, with 5% coverage, in draft mode, and you don't print any pictures. Scary eh?

--PB

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have the distinct feeling that Epson has been bending me over the printer table and rogering me like death from behind for some time now, PB. :eek:

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
please understand that EPSON printers are only a mechanism to sell EPSON ink and paper

once you understand that, you understand why the printer was so inexpensive.

the only other option you have is to buy a different epson printer that has SEPERATE colour cartridges for each CMYK colour

we have RIP sfw. for imagesetters and colour proofers, like the EPSON 3000, and we hear complaints all the time about ink usage which is why our software correctly calibrates ink usage and allows for user pull-back on ink

NOTE: the RIP is for professional environments and is not menat for home use.

just letting u know how the game is played

furthermore, each colour inkjet producer, tweaks the paper to their own brand of inks so my original premise holds even more water.

i agree with others that an inexpensive laser is your best bet

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the advice. I don't mean to sound ungrateful but I was aware that ink is how Epson makes money. I've noticed that scanners operate in a similar fashion now because they are cheap but you still have to buy expensive software to make them useful. They must have some deal worked out with the software companies. At any rate, it seems laser is the way to go.

My questions remains: Is anyone interested in buying an Epson 820 Printer?

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
Why not just replace the colour cartridge and be done with it. If he doesn't use colour often, it will last a long time. Has he tried looking for a refill shop or for a generic brand cartridge? (look4ink.com sells a generic replacement for US$8.95++) I get Epson colour cartridge refilled here with the proper ink for around $15.00 and it's guaranteed. Even with printing in colour occasionally, I get the better part of a year out of a cartridge. Looking out for an inexpensive laser is a good choice (I also have one when I want a really good smear-proof print). A used (black only) StyleWriter or DeskWriter with a good cartridge sells for $50 or less and the Canon/Stylewriter cartridges are easy and reliable to refill yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Anyone who doesn't use colour should probably be using a laser printer. They are much less expensive to operate and provide sharp, smudge free, true blacks even at 600 or 300 dpi.

There are many, many people out there using 10-year old lasers that are still going strong, and output quality is excellent.

If you buy a used laser, try to get one with an Ethernet connection (usually called a Network printer and often with 'N' in the model name). This is probably too expensive an option if you buy new, but then again only newer lasers will have a USB connection, which is the best second choice.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i 2nd gordguide's sentiments.

i was lucky enuf to buy a used personal lw 320

i have a used personal lw nt if anyone wants to make an offer

only 3,000 or so pages printed but needs repair of paper sensor

u can insert one page at a time by opening the printer a little and inserting a page.

the personal LW NT is networkable via appletalk/localtalk/phonenet so your mac would need an old style printer port to talk the appletalk as it were.

let me know via private email to get better response

thanx

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
So, most agree that a used laser printer is a good, low cost per page solution. Questions: how much printing does he do?--does he EVER need colour?--is printer footprint size an issue( some of those Lasers are huge)?--is warm-up time (delay) an issue? The Epson can be left on in the idle mode with negligible energy consumption. The laser needs to have the fuser heated all the time it's on. Personally, I find my laser too large to be on my computer stand, so the get up to turn on/wait for warm-up/turn off sequence every time I just need black printing is a pain.
Bottom line is that both types have advantages and disadvantages. You need to weigh them out before making a decision (like why he bought a Photo 820 in the first place)

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Newer HP laser have what they call an "Instant-On Fuser". First page out in 15 seconds or so.

Of course, the least expensive model I know of that has an Instant On Fuser is the laserjet 1200, which is 650$ CDN. Pricey yes, but the cartidge is about 100$ and lasts FOREVER (give or take). Best value in a laser right now if you ask me, I even plan on picking one up for myself at some point.

--PB

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i got lucky with my apple personal LW 320, it goes into sleep and wakes up very quickly.

very low power consumption.

better lucky than good

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My friend uses the printer for printing his writing. So he usually prints around 100 to 200 pages every two or three weeks. It sounds like Laser is the way to go for black and white printing but I don't think he wants to spend much of anything on a new printer. Refilling is probably his best bet for now but this advice has been great. Does anyone know how to set a colour Epson printer to only print in black & white? I can't seem to make the setting stay put in OS X like I used to in 9.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I can't seem to make the setting stay put in OS X like I used to in 9. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Are you switching the colour/black option after initiating the Print command or from the Page Setup (File Menu) when the application is open? To maintain a constant default, the Page Setup panel is where you need to go. Hope that was it.
In regards to the volume of pages you friend prints, looking for a good used laser with a near full toner cartridge would be a good idea. The "cost per page " savings would make it a good long term investment (and the print would be water resistant). If he wishes to stay with the Epson, he should definitely check out any refill shops or generic replacements (lots on the net). I'm not sure if that model has user-refillable tanks, as some of the new ones have ink sensors that need to be reset before they will work again. If it is user-refillable, purchasing a quality ink kit may be an idea if he's comfortable messing with inks. ;)

·
Registered
543 Posts
My simple solution! After the color cartridge was nearing empty I took it out and then put it back in. Now it shows that it is full and I keep printing in black. Might be temporary solution.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lotus:
My simple solution! After the color cartridge was nearing empty I took it out and then put it back in. Now it shows that it is full and I keep printing in black. Might be temporary solution.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I did. Although, I fear it's just because I shook the remaining colour ink a little bit into the right place.

Either way, I'm with you, laser is the way to go, unless you print photos.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will try the print cartridge removal and re-insertion trick. Thanks for letting me know about that!

As for changing the print settings to black only, I tried Page Setup and was unable to locate that setting for some reason. I'll have another look. Perhaps, I'm losing my minid. . .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts