Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wonding how much you would pay for a black macbook Duel 2 Core with standard specs... used but still with plenty of time to get apple care.. Not a referb it was brought brand new...

also what does one look for when buying a second hand macbook i know the obvious like dead pixels what else can go wrong??

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Brand New - $1649
Education Price - $1549
With potential upgrades very soon (this model is almost 7 months old)

I would pay $1350 max.

Check the battery life. If still within the first year warranty, and if it's below 50% capacity, you can get this exchanged by Apple.

Check the hard drive size. It's easy enough to switch out the MacBook drives, and you don't want to be scammed out of 120GB.

Get all the original discs. If no original discs, take $200 off the price (Cost of OS and iLife)

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
To add to what GT said:

I suggest you ask to see the original invoice / bill of sale: you don't want to be receiving stolen goods. Even better is a copy of it to keep.

Check how the MB opens and closes. Shut down and restart a few times. Open the Textedit app and work all the keyboard keys.

Hand over money and get a receipt.

Take home, enjoy and post here how much you love it.

Put a note in iCal, with an alarm, to remind you of the Applecare cut-off date - at that point you can decide whether or not to go for it.

Get yourself an external drive and start backing stuff up.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Brand New - $1649
Education Price - $1549
With potential upgrades very soon (this model is almost 7 months old)

I would pay $1350 max.
I'd say that's about right -- the refurbs on Apple.ca go for $1449, but they have a full one-year warranty.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Use PiXel Check V1.2.app to check for dead pixels. Since the MacBook uses a TN panel, dead pixels should be lit (usually in teal) and easily noticeable with this app.

If you use a widget like iStat Pro, you can check how many charge cycles the battery has been through.

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
I might be interested. How well taken care of is it? Are there any scratches or noticeable marks on the handrest? And does the screen have any issues (backlighting, dead pixels, marks)?
I believe she's buying as in "how much would you (if you were buying, as I am) pay" etc.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow thanks guys I'm all ways amazed at the response here such a friendly bunch you all are :)

i will keep this in mind... after putting my case to hubby for some reason he has agreed to get me this macbook upon my inspection of anything wrong with it ... i have taken many notes and will put it to good use hopefully Sunday... i maybe a proud macbook owner... :) keep fingers toes arms legs or what ever for me ^.^

@ idesign ummm I'm getting the macbook I'm not putting one up for sale sorry :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow thanks guys I'm all ways amazed at the response here such a friendly bunch you all are :)

i will keep this in mind... after putting my case to hubby for some reason he has agreed to get me this macbook upon my inspection of anything wrong with it ... i have taken many notes and will put it to good use hopefully Sunday... i maybe a proud macbook owner... :) keep fingers toes arms legs or what ever for me ^.^

@ idesign ummm I'm getting the macbook I'm not putting one up for sale sorry :)
I should read the WHOLE post before replying!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Use PiXel Check V1.2.app to check for dead pixels. Since the MacBook uses a TN panel, dead pixels should be lit (usually in teal) and easily noticeable with this app.

If you use a widget like iStat Pro, you can check how many charge cycles the battery has been through.
one Question tho.. am i able to download these mini apps onto a USB drive and take with me??? and run them off a mini USB drive ??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts