1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,989 Posts
:clap::clap::clap:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow, I never thought this would happen. I can't wait to longer need to boot into windows. This is big news for many design firms. It certainly is going to make managing our office IT much easier.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Finally - now I can tell customers they won't need to use Bootcamp. (Which never impresses them...)

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Amazing news - assuming it gets beyond the rumour/leak/code detective stage and is in fact confirmed by AutoDesk. ;)

I do know one architectural firm in Boston who have been all-Mac forever and they use Vectorworks, which their CAD people usually come to like better than AutoCAD. Archicad is another cross-platform option, but like it or not, AutoCAD has become the de facto standard for the building design professions, so this will make it much easier for offices who'd like to go to or stay with Macs to justify that choice.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Excellent. Professional applications are essential to the long term viability of a computer platform. Having said that, I seriously hope Apple doesn't water Final Cut Studio down into some unusable garbage.

·
Registered
124 Posts
this is the best news I heard in years, I HATE BOOT CAMP. bye bye windows. I will never need you again.

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
Again, not sure if I'll ever use it. But, it will be a welcome addition to the available apps for people and be something to celebrate. Alot less need for bootcamp for sure!

G

·
I'll be more impressed if they actually follow through with the full release and if it is in feature parity with the windows version, but yes this is a good move for sure.

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
As it happens I have a cousin who works for Autodesk, she confirmed this to me. She's not a Mac user but she said the demand (which had been loud for years) was getting deafening.

This is something the folks at ACDSee noticed too -- more and more professionals switching to Mac, kind of making it necessary to develop for the platform or lose users.

I hope Autodesk will take a cue from our approach and:

a. Don't attempt a port job. Use native Mac code.
b. Leverage Apple technologies wherever possible (or, in short, Don't Be Adobe).
c. At least keep users updated regularly, if not have public betas.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
If this comes to be then one of the two gaping holes in the Mac Software collection will have been filled.

Long story short even though most of us will never use it a big step forward for Apple.

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
If this comes to be then one of the two gaping holes in the Mac Software collection will have been filled.
What would you say the other hole is?

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
Even tho we're seeing a spike in gaming.. I think gaming is definitely still a big hole on the Mac side of things. Hopefully game developers start realizing that we're a dedicated group of users and would love to pay for their games if they offered them.

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
And by games, I hope they start making them in native code rather than cider ports. Seems to me that alot of these ported games would perform alot better if they were native code. Some of the Aspyr ports are very poorly done and supported just as poorly!

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
What would you say the other hole is?
Financial/Accounting/Bookkeeping software is rather lacking. I have yet to see anything that come close to Microsoft Money on windows (and even that has been discontinued). There are packages out there, but they lack simple features like entering taxable and non-taxable items in paycheck deductions that are automatically tracked. Only Money could do that AFAIK.

G

·
Financial/Accounting/Bookkeeping software is rather lacking. I have yet to see anything that come close to Microsoft Money on windows (and even that has been discontinued). There are packages out there, but they lack simple features like entering taxable and non-taxable items in paycheck deductions that are automatically tracked. Only Money could do that AFAIK.
For that matter there's still a big hole in a lot of business type software like CRM stuff (and more). There is software for OSX yes, but very limited in the choices for the most part, especially compared to the windows world where there are too many choices.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts