Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple has apparently made larger-than-usual price breaks for the Powerbook G4 12" available at university stores.

Dalhousie's PCPC store, for example, lists the 12" PB at $2481, rather than $2899 retail, a $418 savings.

Hmmmm...just how much space do I have on my credit card...?

:D
M

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Hmm this is nice, Apple is finally giving students more of a break on their computers!

·
Registered
83 Posts
My college computer shop at Humber sells hardware and software at pretty goo prices.

I got a quote for a G4 DP 867 and it was $400 less then Apple's quote.

Program are also less, once I do get my Mac, I want to buy Final Cut Pro 3 for $500 and maybe DVD Studio Pro for $900. That's still a lot of money but a lot less then retail.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Not that I qualify, but I wonder how many students can afford a new PB at $2,500?

Add provincial sales taxes (Alta. excluded, of course!), GST and a few accessories and the final bill will be easily over $3,000.

As Macs go, it's a pretty good price but . . .

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, it's all those foreign students who come to study English, and the professors who figured a computer expense into their SSHRC research grants (we just ordered a 12"PBG4).

:D
M

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
They usually offer some good pricing for students - as I tnoticed on the U of T comp store site. . Campus retail reserves the right to ask or ID though as well. The same stands for software. The student editions indicate clearly that ID must be presented in order to qualify for the discount. My bro works on a Univ. Campus. I've weaseled some deals.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Do you need to be a student of that particular University where their selling the Macs or can you get away with being at another Uni and still get the discount?

·
Registered
588 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clockwork:
Do you need to be a student of that particular University where their selling the Macs or can you get away with being at another Uni and still get the discount?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As long as you have a valid Student or Faculty ID they have to sell to you.

At that price cut I'll have cash for a Airport extreme card!
:D :cool: can't stop!!

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
[venting][with heavy sarcasim]

Why don't they give students and teachers all the Apple stuff for FREE!

Yeah! All Apple has to do is double the price for the working stiff like Heart,
and the graphic designers, business owners, professionals and all round macaddicts.

Yeah! Hearts made of money, him and all his friends have lots to go around and the poor old stuggling students and teachers have none.

Take from the rich and give to the poor. Apple and Robin Hood... 'What do you say Little John?"

Oh yeah! Maybe this is not sarcastic as Apple gave Jaguar out for free $199 Cdn.

And now I read this: iLife, Keynote for $15US to teachers, faculty

No word of Canada yet, but if it comes around, thats iLife $75 + Keynote $145 = $220 Cdn (Hearts Price)
All for about $23 Cdn. ( Poor Teachers and Faculty Price)

[/ end venting][/ end heavy sarcasim]
:mad:
--
Sherlock - Dictionary - Sarcasm

SYLLABICATION:
sar·casm
PRONUNCIATION:
sär?k?z'?m
NOUN:
1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound. 2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

:mad:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Heart, the faculty idea I can see from your point of view, but for the students I can see for those who are just getting on their own feet and starting post-secondary, cheaper prices help out a lot.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
After reading the thread again, do I understand this correctly.

Rich foreign students that can afford expensive computers but get great prices because the pretend to be poor because they pay so much for their education because professors figured a computer expense into their SSHRC research grants?

Puuullllezzzzzz!

Shoot me now! Shoot me now! :mad:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Rich foreign students? Well lucky them, most students I know are not rich or foreign...
I know I'm not rich or foreign... Anyone can apply for a course and viola they are a student and can get this discount. Most discounts are on software, not hardware though, that is what makes this announcement special. I was @ the U of C last week and Microsoft Office was being sold @ 50% off the normal price for students.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
yup, i go to u of t and i also saw the 12" pbook for $400 off

on the other hand, the lowest ibook is only like $50 off. if it was down to around $1000, i would buy one in a heartbeat

they also sell microsoft software up to 90% off, so u can get office x for mac for $99

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can afford a new PB for $2500+taxes+extras easily, since it's crucial to my research. It's called A STIPEND and it's a bunch of money my University throws at me.

Combined with responsible savings and not blowing my money on getting drunk every weekend, I have enough money to take advantage of the awesome educational discount is finally giving students.

Ahh, it's great to be a life sciences grad student at U of T where the stipends are awesome.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brainstrained:
Not that I qualify, but I wonder how many students can afford a new PB at $2,500?

Add provincial sales taxes (Alta. excluded, of course!), GST and a few accessories and the final bill will be easily over $3,000.

As Macs go, it's a pretty good price but . . .
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Canadian By Choice
117,400 Posts
Memorial University's Computer Purchasing Center, which is part of the Apple consortium, quoted me a fully loaded 17" AlPB for a saving of $517 over the price quoted on the exact same notebook through the Apple Canada Store. This is not a SSHRC grant, but rather money that I earned by extra teaching, so no flames this way.

·
Registered
933 Posts
There is educational pricing available through the Apple Canada Store if you click through this link and it usually matches to within a few dollars of what the campus stores offer.

I note that there is a big discrepency this time around wrt (for e.g.) the 12" G4 PB ($2699 at the Apple Ca Edu store). Not sure why that is but I sure hope it continues into the future.

As some have pointed out the discounts on software to the edu space can be huge by comparison.

As to why there are edu discounts? It's basically a loss leader IMO. Companies want student to get used to there products in school so that they can drive adoption in the workplace. Familiarity breeds sales in this case. That's what's so worrisome about Apple's dwindling market share in the K-12 space from my point of view.

Dr. G. was that price that you were quoted for the 17" PB compared to full retail or the generally available Edu price? If it was the latter I would think it was a very god deal indeed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm in the market for a new G4 DP 1.25 Power Mac with superdrive. From my college bookstore, it would cost $3499 and from Apple.ca it would cost $3673. But last time I talked to Apple they said they would take $75 off of their price, so it turns out to be a $100 less from my school. But then again Apple would ship straight to my home which is better for me since I do not own a car.

It's not really that much cheaper, just some of the apps are a good deal, like Final Cut Pro 3 for $550.

I think the prices are still to high. I'm a multimedia student and for my program I was expected to have an up to date PC (Windows or Mac) plus an external fire wire drive, plus most of the apps from Adobe and Macromedia and a few otehrs. That's a lot of cash I don't have, even with student discounts.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,400 Posts
Mycat, I configured a system on the Apple Canada site, and sent this in to the MUN Mac consortium, requesting the price of a similar system. The quote was $512 less and they even knocked off 3 1/2% from the GST sales tax. I don't know how they are able to do this, but it is amazing how the price differs from a University purchase-order to someone making a personal purchase. As I have said, comes April 1st, when the additional $400 professional development grant is available, I shall throw my $5700 plus the $400 up into the air an see what happens re the best Mac for my needs within that price frame.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts