Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. A switch is out. Got it.

Anything in particular that I should look for in a *wired* router? A quick google search just tosses up a lot of fluff and darned if I can find a decent answer (or recommendation).

I gots the iMac and the VOiP adapter and that's about it.

Suggestions?

Please?

:)

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Who's your ISP and what type of modem do you have? Any cheap wired router will probably do the trick, but if you use Bittorrent, I'd stay away from Linksys or DLink routers. They can't handle the load from my experience. My AirPort Extreme N seems to be holding up beautifully and has some great features if you're willing to pay a premium like printer and disk sharing and the easiest, most convenient setup tool of any router out there.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Um... I've got a D-Link DSL-300G modem.

I've got a pretty simple home set-up and don't see it growing. Just the iMac and the VOiP adapter.

It's just that ever since I got the iMac, I've begun loosing the connection more and more often and Telus is telling me "oh, no. Nothing wrong on our end! Probably the router. To check it, disconnect your phone and see if you eventually loose the connection again." I pointed out to them that, you know, the VOiP *is* my phone so disconnecting it to 'test' the sytem out isn't practical for me... .

I'd never had to reboot the router/modem before the iMac - but I'm convinced it's just a coincidence since the router takes down the VOiP, too and if it was just the iMac dropping the connection, I'd still have the VOiP.

There really doesn't seem to be a lot of wired router choices out there at the moment but, give me two choices, and I come to you guys for spiffy advice :clap:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
never had an issue with my Dlink 604 i've used them and installed them on other systems there old about 10$ online and are stable things I've also Torrents on them there ok unless you have more then 3+ torrents going at once

Also i've never had a problem with my Netgear wireless either there

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I'll say go with a belkin. I love my belkin router and I'd put it above my Linksys that I had to reset monthly. I've got a belkin wireless router but the radio can be disabled.

They are about $45 brand new for a wireless one.

·
OpenBSD Developer
500 Posts
Who's your ISP and what type of modem do you have? Any cheap wired router will probably do the trick, but if you use Bittorrent, I'd stay away from Linksys or DLink routers. They can't handle the load from my experience. My AirPort Extreme N seems to be holding up beautifully and has some great features if you're willing to pay a premium like printer and disk sharing and the easiest, most convenient setup tool of any router out there.
You must have had a faulty linksys because they are simply the most robust routers out there. I have 3 systems (2 wired and 1 wireless) connected to mine and it performs like a champ.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
never had an issue with my Dlink 604 i've used them and installed them on other systems there old about 10$ online and are stable things I've also Torrents on them there ok unless you have more then 3+ torrents going at once

Also i've never had a problem with my Netgear wireless either there
That's what I've got now... but I'm tired of having to reset it more and more frequently (it's getting to be a couple of times a week).

All good things must come to an end, I guess.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute...

Don't get a D-Link or Linksys, get a Linksys, get a Belkin, get an old D-Link... aaaaaaaaaaahhhh.

Let me throw something else into the mix.

I *do* download and upload things like torrents and such and I haven't a clue how important a router is to VOiP quality.

Does that make a choice any clearer?

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

·
OpenBSD Developer
500 Posts
Don't get a D-Link or Linksys, get a Linksys, get a Belkin, get an old D-Link... aaaaaaaaaaahhhh.

Let me throw something else into the mix.

I *do* download and upload things like torrents and such and I haven't a clue how important a router is to VOiP quality.

Does that make a choice any clearer?

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.
linksys! you have my word that you will be happy with it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK... so let's say I went with that...

There seems to be plenty models out there, ranging from $40 to $180.

And I know no-thang about them except I want something that'll be able to handle torrent downloads and VOiP.

Care to narrow down the range of models? :heybaby:

·
OpenBSD Developer
500 Posts
There seems to be plenty models out there, ranging from $40 to $180.

And I know no-thang about them except I want something that'll be able to handle torrent downloads and VOiP.

Care to narrow down the range of models? :heybaby:
NCIX.com - Buy LINKSYS ETHERFAST CABLE/DSL ROUTER W/ 4-PORT 10/100 SWITCH - BEFSR41 In Canada.

I have used this one before and it works great. a great thing about linksys is that their web interface is the best by far. easy to use yet very powerful.

here are 59 customer reviews of it: NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.

·
Registered
586 Posts
never had an issue with my Dlink 604 i've used them and installed them on other systems there old about 10$ online and are stable things
I have used a D-Link 604 for the last 2 1/2 years. I got it on sail for 10USD around Christmas time and it has worked fine since. D-Link has great tech-support and when I called the problem ended up being with my ISP provided modem (not a D-Link) but they still were able to help me fix the problem. Also if you are a parent they are advanced firewall features build into the router (ex. you could onley let you kids Mac go on line at before 9PM). I highly recommend D-Link.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have used a D-Link 604 for the last 2 1/2 years. I got it on sail for 10USD around Christmas time and it has worked fine since. D-Link has great tech-support and when I called the problem ended up being with my ISP provided modem (not a D-Link) but they still were able to help me fix the problem. Also if you are a parent they are advanced firewall features build into the router (ex. you could onley let you kids Mac go on line at before 9PM). I highly recommend D-Link.
That's the one I'd be replacing. It was stable until recently and now that it's time for a change, I was hoping for a router that may have newer/advancer features and may be able to better handle torrent up/down loads and VOiP. My present 604 router just didn't seem to like the newish iMac all that much, I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
You must have had a faulty linksys because they are simply the most robust routers out there. I have 3 systems (2 wired and 1 wireless) connected to mine and it performs like a champ.
Well then I've had 2 faulty Linksys routers, good enough reason for me to not recommend them. But in reality, I did a lot of research, and found a LOT of people online with the same issues as me, that being the router having to be reset often because it would completely lock up, cutting off access to the Internet. The culprit is almost always Bittorrent or other similar peer to peer sharing protocols. If you don't use such programs, then you may never experience the problem.

Actually, in reality, I've had one real faulty Linksys, and 8 port wired router that I ended up exchanging for a 4 port model. I don't believe the other two wireless routers I've had were faulty, as they worked perfectly normally until I ran Bittorrent. The conclusion many reached in support forums I've read is that the cpu's in the Linksys routers just can't keep up with the amount of port connections that Bittorrent tries to open.

zen.state said:
linksys! you have my word that you will be happy with it.
My question to you is, how many Linksys routers have you owned, and what do you do with them? I don't think you should be setting unrealistic expectations for Betty Woo, since there are plenty of people who have had bad experiences with Linksys, so there's no way you can make any such guarantees about their experience.

·
OpenBSD Developer
500 Posts
Well then I've had 2 faulty Linksys routers, good enough reason for me to not recommend them. But in reality, I did a lot of research, and found a LOT of people online with the same issues as me, that being the router having to be reset often because it would completely lock up, cutting off access to the Internet. The culprit is almost always Bittorrent or other similar peer to peer sharing protocols. If you don't use such programs, then you may never experience the problem.

Actually, in reality, I've had one real faulty Linksys, and 8 port wired router that I ended up exchanging for a 4 port model. I don't believe the other two wireless routers I've had were faulty, as they worked perfectly normally until I ran Bittorrent. The conclusion many reached in support forums I've read is that the cpu's in the Linksys routers just can't keep up with the amount of port connections that Bittorrent tries to open.

My question to you is, how many Linksys routers have you owned, and what do you do with them? I don't think you should be setting unrealistic expectations for Betty Woo, since there are plenty of people who have had bad experiences with Linksys, so there's no way you can make any such guarantees about their experience.
I do use Bit Torret. In fact I have a dedicated Bit Torrent system (the G4 600 in my signature) and its pumping bits day and night through the linksys router I have. I NEVER EVER have an issue and often have 6-8 torrents going at once with some connected to 100+ peers.

The issues that most people tend to have with linksys are user-based. They work much differently in some ways and many people just don't get them. They are a higher end and more capable type router. Once you get the hang of how they work you can do great things with them. Linksys also have the greatest implementation of embedded Linux.

They are for sure the #1 choice of super geeks like myself.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
The issues that most people tend to have with linksys are user-based. They work much differently in some ways and many people just don't get them. They are a higher end and more capable type router. Once you get the hang of how they work you can do great things with them. Linksys also have the greatest implementation of embedded Linux.

They are for sure the #1 choice of super geeks like myself.
Trust me, my issue with the Linksys routers I've owned is not a user issue. I know my way around routers and TCP/IP networking very well and it wasn't a configuration issue. You didn't answer my question about how many Linksys routers you've owned. It's quite possible that the model you have is one of the better ones, so it would be useful for you to provide that info. We can only really vouch for the models we've used.

The models I've most recently owned are the BEFW11S4 and WRT54G. I've even tried using a couple of the 3rd party firmware updates on the latter to see if they solved the problem, but had no luck. My most recent D-Link router was the DI-784 and before that the DI-624 Rev. C. Both had stability issues as well. I set up my brother in-law's DI-604, and don't recommend it either as it has some compatibility issues with the Mac which may or may not have been resolved.

Maybe I'm just a heavier torrent user than the average person, I often have 10-20 torrents going at a time, with connections to hundreds of peers, but I had the problems even when I reduced the number of active torrents.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts