Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Ok, I am a dork cuz I don't have a website. WIth that said, can anyone suggest a good (FREE) application that will allow me to make a web page?

I don't want to have to know HTML or anything. I just want to be able to drag and drop pics, etc...type in some stuff and then publish it on my 10MB of FREE space with Rogers (that I never knew I had). Thank you to Mr. Gant for telling me this.

Your advice is, as always, greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have used a simple web page editor, originally put out by AOL. (Don't laugh) Its called AOLPress.
It was used on a PC for many years, by me. There are support groups available but, AOL doesn't support it any longer. Its 32 bit and "FREE". You will have to direct your search engine to "Aolpress". Take a look at my page, done almost in entirety, using this product. www.hamneggs.org I hope this might help.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Well, you can get Dreamweaver free for a 30 day demo if you can make everything quickly within 30 days, it will do everything you want to do quickly and easily to publish web sites.

go to macromedia.com and download it,

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
If you want to just slap up a web site and don't care for the bells and whistles, your best bet is Netscape. It includes a free editor and for that price, it can't be beat. There's also BBEdit which I think they still make available in an evaluation edition...but it's more of a text-based editor.

Alternatively you can just use AppleWorks, select Save As and then save it as an html document.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once I have the silly thing put together, how do I upload it to Rogers server?

Man...I still can't believe that after all this time using the Internet, I don't know how to do something like this. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
57 Posts
To upload to Rogers, you'll want to grab an ftp client - like RBrowser Lite (free -- and has served me well [i use it for Rogers too]). It's drag and drop, relatively simple, and should serve you well. [Usage note: When the app is open, and the new site dialog is up, put members.rogers.com in the Host/URL field, and your email account name (i.e. johndoe in [email protected]) in the Username field. Other than the password, that should be all you need to enter.]

As to editors, the following is more directed towards markup masters than novices: has anyone seen an editor come out that actually adheres to the holy doctrine? After looking around at Dreamweaver, FrontPage (please, stifle your screams), Netscape, and Word (proceed with screams), the best method I've found is good old-fashioned hand-hewn markup. The browser battle has been won in many areas (although WinIE's box model may cause convulsions), but without decent generators, we're still losing the war. The war on markup. Wow. In the context of the Ontario education and health systems, the diseases that still plague the planet, and that little tiff over in Baghdad, this kind of concern seems realtively wasteful. :rolleyes:

Ah well. Gotta make a living doing something...

Cheers,
Podboy

[Edit: I just realized, this is my 30th post! I'm now a full citizen! Yayyyyyy! :D this makes me so very happy. It's taken a while, for sure...I'm one of those "quiet" types, I guess. :cool: ]

[ May 26, 2003, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Podboy ]

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Vertigogo
Download the Dreamweaver demo
Make your pages and a file transfer client is built in.
FTP Thingy is a good freeware ftp app.
Adobe Page Mill is a nice simple program with web page creation and ftp all built in, and you can find it for about $10 on EBay, this is also a good approach for you. Go ahead and jump in, you might want to check some sample code from other pages by checking under the source menu item in your browser menu.
Web pages are pretty simple really, here is a list of the major parts.

1. <LI>Fonts
    <LI>Links
    <LI>Images
    <LI> LIsts
    <LI>Frames
    <LI>Tables
    <LI> Cascading style sheets (optional)
    <LI>Forms
    <LI> additional external or inline scripting like Javascript, or PHP or CGI scripts, only needed for extrra functions like dealing with form data
Just concentrate on the first 6 things in this list then move on if you want to more complexity, it takes time to learn, be patient.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Doesn't really help you Vertigogo, but just wanted to comment... I think there is a huge hole in product offerings to make an quick simple web page on the Mac! HUGE hole! There used to be Claris Home Page and Adobe PageMill. They weren't amazing programs or anything, but they were easy and simple to build a web page.

I'm really, REALLY hoping that Apple fills this gap with their next major version of AppleWorks. If they wanted to, the could build an AMAZING program for building a clean, simple web page. If they'd incorporate some really nice pre-built themes ala iDVD etc... quick previews with Safari, incorporate one-click publishing to .Mac account like iPhoto pages... Nice layout features similar to what Keynote has. Apple could build a really nice killer app with the next version of AppleWorks.

We shall have to see.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Hmmm.. there are tons out there, and it can get a little confusing. But I might have to agree with Minnes about the Pagemill. You should be able to get it for hella cheap. They have a new one: GoLive. But you'll take more than a minute to p/u html and code it successfully as well. but it can always be done, but HTML is no joke these days. Can get pretty heavy. Do you know any?? Dreamweaver I find a little heavy - for a crash course. But it is a complete editor - once you've mastered DW, you're good.

BBedit lite - is it not free?? (HTML editor)
FTP?? I've always used Fetch. Will be trying a few others.

Did I make any sense?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just like netscape you can use composer in Mozilla.

http://www.mozilla.org

When i first was learning HTML I used Netscape and went quite a while with that before graduating to Dreamweaver.

Its a great learning program because it just has the basics: text formating, pics and links. Although you can also view the HTML code.

My advice is to scan through the code after you've made some simple pages so you start figuring out what the tags are doing. Also read through a tutorial or two on the web about how to use HTML...you should be able to get the basics down in no more than a couple of days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts