Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have Corel Draw + PhotoPaint on my G3/600 iMac, but even with lots of RAM it is unbelievably slow. I am so sick of sitting around waiting while it processes away. Does anyone know of good software for OS X that is smaller and simpler? I just need to make web graphics and stuff.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Try Graphic Converter - not sure of your requirements but it's good for web stuff and quick. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
The ultimate Web graphics software is Photoshop 7.0 and its included companion app ImageReady.

A G3/600 should be quite adequate for running any graphics app to produce documents at screen resolution. I was using Photoshop 7 in OS X Jaguar with no problems to produce Web graphics on a beige G3/333. No idea why the Corel apps run slowly - have you tried re-installing everything?

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Both Photoshop 7 and FireWorks MX 2004 run unbearably slow on my iMac/400 w/192 MB of RAM (10.2.8). I'll have 640 MB of RAM in there soon enough, but I'm wondering how much speed I'll actually gain from the extra RAM.

How much RAM do you have installed? I would just get older version of those programs (if there are any) and run them in Mac OS 9 - far, far faster performance.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sorry to be say this, but if you really want to use OS X on a G3 machine, any graphic design application that you use is going to be quite slow. I'm a graphic artist by trade and I can tell you that you really should be using OS 9.x on that machine. The Corel suite is nice, but it is a hog to run. Try running earlier versions of Photoshop, Illustrator or Freehand. They run nice on G3 class machines.

Hope this helps, don't go out and buy any new apps hoping they will work smooth and fast on that machine, they won't.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got 768 megs of RAM, so it is quite a bit. Jaguar seems to just love that RAM. Everything else sped up like mad when I put in the extra RAM, but not the Corel stuff. I'm gonna try this GraphicConverter app.

And don't worry- I didn't pay anything for the Corel apps- a buddy of mine was in sales for them and gave me a promo copy. Now I just need to meet some sales guys from Apple and Adobe...;)

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I'm thinking of eventually upgrading to 1 GB of RAM in my iMac as well for optimial performance, but unfortunatly, 512 MB DIMMS aren't so cheap. :confused:

Download Graphic Converter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts