Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new at web design, with some basic experience and HTML guides, but would like to learn, mainly for personal interest. Been recommended Dreamweaver or GoLive, but can't really justify the $$$.

Any advice or help?

Thanks!
Dave [email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
This is hilarious! I was just about to post the same type of question.

I want to know if anyone can suggest a good (and hopefully free) web design tool for the absolute novice.

I just want to be able to type some text in, add a few links to it, drag and drop some pictures in and voila! ...instant webpage.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
for free you cn use the one that comes with mozilla or Netscape
Some old iMacs had Adobe Page Spinner bundeled and now floating around on ebay for $10 or so.
I jst downloaded Visual Page and it looks pretty cool for most folks and I think its about $75
Or you can just by a $30 book like HTML for the world wide web by Peachpit press.
Thats the book I used to make many web pages dfrom scratch code and it explains everything from square one in a quick simple fashion.
There is a cheaper version of Dreamweaver for windows only.
I was using Dreamweaver MX kast year on someone elses machine, and downloaded a trial but it expired long ago.
If you are making web pages for a business Dreamweaver is the best, otherwise, try to find a cheaper alternative like Visual Page or Page Spinner.
DW is getting pretty bloated these days anyway. Remember DW also has built in site mangement tools, and all kinds of extra stuff that would take about 6 months to get famallier with.
People used to like Claris homepage but its been abandoned but still works well in Os9, I think Word and Apple works can save to html files.
I started off with just the book above noted and simpletext.
You can download a trial of Visual Page from Tucows and maybe some other programs too
What do all the other folks here use?

·
Premium Member
7,066 Posts
You can do it the way I did, SimpleText or TextEdit since you probably use OS X and a library card. Library card to get books to learn HTML which is as close to English as you can get in some ways, and have fun with a plain ASCII editor, save as .html and have fun!

·
Registered
282 Posts
dreamweaver dreamweaver dreamweaver. get an html bible and go to town. learn how to build a table and centre and add tables with rows and columns in it without dreamweaver. then switch. i have used dreamweaver for 4 years now. it is mostly solid and cross broswer / platform happy. for those who html in wysiwyg dreamweaver seems to be the software of choice. it shows the code and the page at the same time which is great for beginners to see what they are doing...will never touch go live.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
My vote is for Netscape's freebie editor, called Composer. Another company called BareBones software makes a product called BBEdit. It's not too shabby, but lacks the what-you-see-is-what-you-get abilities of Composer and other editors.

Of course you could always use Word, but then it heaps on all kinds of unwanted tags....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave_99:
I'm new at web design, with some basic experience and HTML guides, but would like to learn, mainly for personal interest. Been recommended Dreamweaver or GoLive, but can't really justify the $$$.

Any advice or help?

Thanks!
Dave [email protected]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
263 Posts
I learned with a shareware HTML editor called PageSpinner by Optima System. You work with code but it inserts the code for you, so you can learn HTML as you go.

I've since moved on to BBEdit because of its AppleScripting abilities but I'll always remember PageSpinner for getting me started.

HTML 4 for the World Wide Web by Peachpit Press is also an excellent way to learn HTML.

By the way, someone mentioned PageSpinner earlier as an Adobe product. It's not. They must be thinking of PageMill, which is no longer available.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrogers:
I learned with a shareware HTML editor called PageSpinner by Optima System. You work with code but it inserts the code for you, so you can learn HTML as you go.

I've since moved on to BBEdit because of its AppleScripting abilities but I'll always remember PageSpinner for getting me started.

HTML 4 for the World Wide Web by Peachpit Press is also an excellent way to learn HTML.

By the way, someone mentioned PageSpinner earlier as an Adobe product. It's not. They must be thinking of PageMill, which is no longer available.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct
I goofed
You got it right
I might use bbedit more
regards
Mark

·
Registered
76 Posts
Someone pointed out that there's a cheaper version of Dreamweaver for the PC (it's name is Contribute). I just wanted to clarify that it's not an HTML authoring tool but rather is designed for non-technical people to add to an existing website. You can't create new pages with it.

If you're just starting out, I'd recommend downloading the Dreamweaver 30-day demo. You might as well learn with the industry-standard!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.