Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I have come across the best utility for people who have small monitors, or just want more space. I came across this app after a lost my dual monitor capablities on my G4 (my 2ndary monitor died)

The program is called CodeTek VirtualDesktop

It is really, really good. I tried a few virtual desktop programs and this was by far the best. Download it and check it out:
http://www.codetek.com/CodeTekVirtualDesktop.dmg.gz

Send me an e-mail if you need help setting it up or using it! (it was kinda difficult at first for me)

[email protected]

Bye all!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I'll check it out later, my modem couldn't handle a 4.1 MB download right now. ;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lars:
I'll check it out later, my modem couldn't handle a 4.1 MB download right now. ;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know how some people survive on 56k! ;)

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
He he, I love Cable... downloaded @ a nice 180 KB/s (download speeds have quadrupled since getting Safari, down with IE!)

I LOVE. Period. My friend told me that you could do this with GNOME on System V at the University and well it gives seemingly unlimited work space, and well I have a new application I can't live without!!!

Thanks for the heads up... :D :D :D :cool:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really and truly think that Apple should buy this app and incorporate the technology into the Finder. I can't say anything else other than, that there is a few apps which are killer apps for every os. this is one of them.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Neema Saeedi:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lars:
[qb]I'll check it out later, my modem couldn't handle a 4.1 MB download right now. ;)
<HR></blockquote>

I don't know how some people survive on 56k! ;)[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello,

Well, some people don't pay for their internet connection, such as myself. $0/month is an acceptable rate to be connected at nearly 56k.

Some people have T1 connections at work, such as myself, so there's no need to pay for the cable modem. Software can always wait until Monday to be downloaded.

Remember the song from Annie...

James

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by james_squared:
[qb]<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lars:
[qb]I'll check it out later, my modem couldn't handle a 4.1 MB download right now. ;)
<HR></blockquote>

I don't know how some people survive on 56k! ;)[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello,

Well, some people don't pay for their internet connection, such as myself. $0/month is an acceptable rate to be connected at nearly 56k.

Some people have T1 connections at work, such as myself, so there's no need to pay for the cable modem. Software can always wait until Monday to be downloaded.

Remember the song from Annie...

James[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How are you guys not paying for 56k? I wouldnt mind getting that! :D
:D

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Wow James, I guess that would work quite nicely... T1 @ work, 56k free @ home, it would be sustainable... big files get @ work, @ home get your email and do the "little" things... I wish I had a T1, but I don't have an extra few thousand lying around each month :(

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Virtual desktops are a standard feature of X Window systems (eg KDE and Gnome and many others for various flavors of UNIX and Linux). It was only a matter of time before it came to Darwin.

The CodeTek implementation looks very good, as do some of their other apps.

Mac OSX apps

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
How are you guys not paying for 56k? I wouldnt mind getting that! :D
:D
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello,

Oh, I'm just abusing AOL. Since I moved a few months ago, I thought I'd try using AOL (again) as they offer 3 months for free. This would be the second time I signed up for AOL as I moved last year as well. I have about another month to cancel my AOL or they'll start charging me.

I really don't like AOL as they don't offer an outgoing mail server. However, I've been able to use my work's outgoing mail server from home without any problems.

James

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL, nice james! And i bet you anything when you call to cancel they will give you more time. One of my relatives in the states has got about a year free of AOL on the same CD + Reg# !! Everytime she calls to cancel they are like, well since you didn't use up all of your free time, would you like 2 more months? hehehe: the system never fails!

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

The CodeTek Virtual Desktop is a pretty nice piece of software, but I don't think it's worth the $30 US.

I use the Lite Switch X program from Proteron, which I picked up for free when they were offering it for free sometime last year. My copy states, "LiteSwitch X is a FREE utility from Proteron." [Emphasis not added] They have since started charging $14.95 US for it, which I also think is a bit expensive.

James

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
It's pretty likely that this will show up in OSX sooner or later. It's part of almost every *NIX GUI, and was part of Next (which OSX is based on). You have to believe Apple is well aware of it and probably is working on it now.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Go Apple! I have a feeling it will be an advanced feature that is not automatically turned on though.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ok so I downloaded this Codetek think and now I can't get rid of it!!
I don't like the trial version and after using it don't wish to part with $30 for the upgrade. How do I get the F***ing thing out of my iBook? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Never mind...a reboot got rid of it.
I found it annoying and confusing...maybe I am old fashioned??

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
icemakk, it can be confusing if you aren't used to 2 desktops. It acts like dual monitors in a way, and depending on how you have it set up you can have a set of work on 1 desktop, and another set on another. It takes some getting used to. As for that $30 registration, thats pricey... but I only need 2 desktops and well thats the free portion...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts