Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As suggested by Macdoc, I also think it would be a good idea to start a thread on people's favourite Mac games --- to provide some gift giving ideas.

Top 10, Top 5, Top 3, which ever, maybe a brief description if you want.

Griller

·
Registered
256 Posts
Medal of Honor: Allied Assualt is excellent. Great gameplay, graphics and sound. Plenty of shooting and blow ups, but not bloody. Very entertaining.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It probably makes sense to actually post my picks too.

Starcraft (and Broodwar)
Excellent real-time strategy game, you have to think, good graphics, great sound, great story. (Broodwar is an expansion pack for Starcraft that provides extra missions story, levels, etc).

Warcraft III
Good real-time strategy game much like Starcraft but different enough. Set in a world of orcs, goblins, swords, and undead. Gorgeous 3-D graphics (if you have good hardware), good story.

New Release games in time for gift giving I think will be good or are good:
Worms Blast
I LOVED Worms 1 & 2, this installment should continue in the same vein. Good fun, cute cartoony worms, a sense of humour (should be good young kids... or people like me :D )

"Worms Blast is a full-on seaborne adventure, with a quirky crew of all-new Worms messing about in boats. It's sink or swim! Whether it's a single player sortie or a two-player Deathmatch, you will need cool strategic thinking and dynamite natural reflexes to triumph in this addictive action puzzle game. It's pure wormage!"

If anyone here's going to by themselves this game as an gift, let us know. After all, it does have MULTIPLAYER!!!!!

Aliens vs. Predator 2
First-person shooter where the Aliens and Predator movie franchises collide. Choose to be an alien, predator, or human marine and fight to survive.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Warcraft 3 by Blizard entertainment. Take two parts cool franchise, one part great graphics, one part engaging story and 2 parts new races and specialties and you end up with the Best warcraft game so far.

--PB

·
Registered
363 Posts
i'd have to point out the tony hawk series.

the replayabilty is off the charts, and because mac is always the last platform to get it, it has the best graphics.

·
Registered
590 Posts
My all time favourite game is Need For Speed High Stakes. The only problem is that its not Mac os compatible yet. :(

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
1. Jedi Knight 2 : Jedi Outcast
2. Warcraft 3 :Reign of chaos
3. Medal of Honor : Allied Assault
4.Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon/Desert Seige
5. Return to Castle Wolfenstein

none of which i would recommend for really young kids...if your a non violent gaming allowing type of parent. With the exception of Warcraft 3..which isnt really all that violent...Jedi could fall into that as well....i personally dont find Star Wars to be violent though...but thats just me.....as well..most of those titles will scream for the latest hardware...so dont go trying to get the ole stock dalmation iMac to try and push these titles...

Wish list....

1.Unreal Tournament 2003(With Altivec Instruction wirtten into the port
)

2. Medal of Honor :Operation Spearhead

3. Warcraft 3 :Expansion(not yet named)

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Medal of Honor :
I liked the different levels, some difficult some not, different weapons could be used but you can use whatever suits you. Some are are a little more stealth than others.

You can if you want just go running around and shooting everything in sight, or not.

You are in the British Army.

I like the World War them with no ghosts and goblins to get in the way. (Per Wolfenstien...)

Difficult enouph in the easiest setting the have me playing it off and on for two weeks, I have yet to return to it to complete it again in a more challenging setting.

Ghost Recon:
I had to get the hang of this one, it is not just a re-hash of Medal of Honor. You gotta think. Plan your attach and control three different companies. Every one has a primary and secondary weapon. Some specialize in different things. Rifleman, Sniper, Demolition, Anti-Tank and more.

You are in the US Army.

Not really a shoot'em up, finally go through the first campain, second campain was almost too easy, third campain has got me stumped. And that is what a game is made to do. Victory is just around the corner.

You must try, fail, learn and try again, fail learn try again and succeed.

All this running on a G3 500 in Jaguar.
Turning the graphics down does not take away from the look and feel.

Sim Theme Park
This is one for the 10+ crowd but I like it too.
Build your own theme park, charge admission, keep it clean, have security, feed the patrons, make money doing it.

And when you have been given gold keys for your success move on to bigger and better parks. And more money!

Hours and hours of good clean fun. You can even take a little video camera walk through the theme park you built. Very, very fun. Ride your rides, RollerCoaster is the most fun. Bring a barf bag.

Speaking of barf bag, in Sim Theme Park you have to build restrooms for your patrons. When you take a walk though you park and pass a restroom it comes complete with barf and passing gas sounds.
What 10 year old doesn't like the sound of a little gas :D

Hours of fun form 10 to at least 34. IMHO

X-Plane
This is one of my newest time killers. Smooth flight sim. OK graphics if you have the power but is still useful with the said G3 500. This is online download only but a big 100MB demo is available. (limited to 6min in air)

There must be 50 different planes available from the big 747's to the little two seaters, water bombers, Space Shuttle, Mars Rockets, Japan Animation.

This program can be use towards your licence to fly a REAL plane.

The best part is what I added to make the flight more interesting.

Flight Stick
Gravis Xtreme Destroyer that I picked up at Grand and Toy for just $9.99 Cdn.
And it worked with X-Plane right out of the box. A quick little configure in the program to assign some of the keys and I was flying.

This flight stick is a great price. $10 bucks, can't go wrong there. I have tested it with the new F1 demo and it works on it too. Will also support Input Sprockets in OS 9. A great stocking stuffer.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,496 Posts
#1 Pong
#2 Dr. Doom's Den 'O Doxies
#3 The Amazing Reading and Writing Machine

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
1) Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix
This is a GREAT game! Wonderful multiplayer action and many really cool maps. I enjoy this much more than <GASP> UT. Perhaps UT 2003 will be better.

2) Jedi Outcast Demo
I have been waiting for this game for quite some time...and was ecstatic when the demo became available. I was not disappointed. Toggle between 1st and 3rd person, excellent graphics, superb sound. Loading saved games and checkpoints takes too long though. Hopefully that is different in the actual game...and a double-hope that Santa will bring this game to me this Christmas. :D ;)

Rounding out my top three is;

3) Giants: Citizen Kabuto
A fantastic 1st or 3rd person adventure with sweeping landscapes and a storyline to swamp your imagination. The multiplayer action is also a hoot and the ability to play three distict species with different powers, weapons and skills for each. Giants took over my life for a good two month period (sorry honey).

There are, of course, many others that I like to play...but these are the ones I am into these days. Especially SoF II. ;) I sure do wish we could get an ehMac night of this great title!

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
If you can still find it:

Connectix Virtual Game Station!!!

How does being able to play 100s of Sony PlayStation games sound? CVGS is a PlayStation emulator for your Mac that plays most of all the original PlayStation games. Get this and go to your local Video Store, rent a 99¢ game, kick back and have some fun. On top of that get yourself a Macally iShock II to act as PlayStation controller and you're all set!

·
Registered
719 Posts
UT. I think it is great playing online. I may suck, but I have fun. Camp and Kill!

Warcraft III. I recently picked it up, and like the franchise. Great graphics and game play. Simple brute force just does not cut it in this game.

Starcraft/Broodwar, I really enjoy the RTS games.

Command and Conquer. The RTS that started them all. Too damn bad that they did not continue to port the PC versions to the Mac.

Apeiron and Maelstrom from Ambrosia software. It may be shareware, but it is fun to play.

Chess. I use to be in the chess club in high school (along with the gun and fencing clubs). I don't know too many people that play or have the time to play. The terrible thing is that the computer beats me every time. Maybe I need to get out more.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Britnell wrote:
"Command and Conquer. The RTS that started them all. Too damn bad that they did not continue to port the PC versions to the Mac."

Eh, you're not missing much. The latest installments in the C&C series have been pretty bad. Generals might be worth getting, but I've no idea whether they'll port it to the Mac (good thing I've got a PC around for gaming ;))

·
Registered
256 Posts
Medal of Honor has a QuickTime movie for Command and Conquer. Apparently a new game (or maybe a ported one from the PC??) is coming in 2003.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Is Soldier of Fortune II really tough on the processor and video card. I read a reviewer say it brought his 867 PowerMac blubbering to it's knees. I've got a dual 500 PowerMac and 867 PowerBook, both with close to a gig of RAM, but are eitther one of these powerful enough for the game?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts