Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pose a question to the graphic community. What is the best format for someone to have their logo in? Does it matter whether you are including the logo in the header of an MS Word or Pages document, or on your Website, or in the signature line of your outgoing emails?

I get the question from time to time and I'd like to hear what the various opinions are.

Thanks,

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
The best format is one that is resolution independent (Adobe Illustrator, eps).

From there, you can get any format that you may need.

Your best format will often depend on the use and the logo itself after that.
MS-Word accepts many graphic formats. As a general rule, we often supply a medium resolution jpeg file: the client will be able to resize the logo without pixelation...

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
What is the best format for someone to have their logo in?
If they need to use it for professional printing, then EPS / Illustrator is the best option. If they just want it for internal use, e-mail, letter head, etc, a high-quality, large-resolution JPG is best (as they can scale down to accomodate whatever they are doing with it).

Does it matter whether you are including the logo in the header of an MS Word or Pages document, or on your Website, or in the signature line of your outgoing emails?
For all those, JPG is best. Not too many people can work with a raw EPS or Illustrator file.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Adding to what GT said... for web/letterhead/etc. Jpeg OR Gif are best. You can't say Jpeg is best in all situations. It's a lossy format... if the logo has only a few colors, Gif or Png may be a better option.

More importantly, I'm not quite getting the question being posed. Are you asking what format the original logo should be in? As mentioned, that would be a vector format (like EPS). Or perhaps you're asking what format is best for the logo you're going to include in a webpage/letterhead/signature? That's not so easy to answer. A large format Jpeg might be fine for documents, but not so much for web. We'd need to see the logo to see if it's best as a jpeg or gif, and how to compress it for best quality at smallest size.

A7

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So there is no clear answer like .abc format works best for including in the header of a MS Word document, while .def format works best for including in the signature of your email while .ghi format works best for putting into a web page.

It sounds like the design and colours used in the logo can determine which format is best to use.

I have clients ask when they are setting up new businesses. I have one asking this week, and she is working with a Graphic Designer who wanted to give her the logo in a PDF format which I thought was a poor choice. I would have thought that the Graphic Designer would have been able to help her make the best choice, based on what she wanted to do with it. This may be a simple case of a Windows user having no idea what can be put on to a Mac.

Thanks for the help,

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
I don't know it depends on what the pdf is being placed in, it's a fairly flexible and widely readable file format. If it is saved as an Illustrator pdf, it can be placed into many things and the vector information is still in the file if you need to open it in illustrator.

I much rather receive a pdf from a new client than a bloody jpeg. God knows how many times I've asked for someones logo and all they do is send me the one from their website.

Whenever I do a logo for someone I include every possible variation on a cd in folders labeled for each application.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
I need to pose a question to the graphic community. What is the best format for someone to have their logo in? Does it matter whether you are including the logo in the header of an MS Word or Pages document, or on your Website, or in the signature line of your outgoing emails?

I get the question from time to time and I'd like to hear what the various opinions are.

Thanks,
Well, I guess the ideal format depends on the skills of the recipient. For highly trained graphic artists with high end software, you'd want native Illustrator files, or at least generic EPS. For complete novices with barely enough skill to insert a graphic in a Word document, a JPEG would likely do the trick.

I've seen professional designers who deliberately provide logos in a format that's just barely adequate for the present use (eg. letterhead). The reason for this, of course, is to prevent re-purposing (eg. Web page, large format ad, glossy magazine, etc.) In some cases I've had to re-create the logo in Illustrator by tracing a scan from a business card or letterhead - lots of fun!

·
Registered
838 Posts
pdf is industry standard, aside from what JumboJones posted, it's mostly so you don't mess with it. Any revisions needs to go back to the original designer, it's smart business. It's pretty common for a final product to be a pdf.

Anybody can open a jpeg, make a little change here, a little change there, and degradation starts.

I don't think it's a case of Windows vs Mac, it's more like designer vs everyday user. I deal with this everyday, unfortunately, I can't speak to the other designer or production person, I need to deal with our face that speaks to their face, they try to figure it out before they will even speak to a designer or production person. So 2 technophiles on either end but we need to speak to 2 technophobes in between who have no idea what we're talking about, and pretending to know what raster vs vector is.

Oh and pdf is your answer.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
....and here I thought that the "industry standard" was what JumboJones wrote. A CD with the original vector graphics(colour and black & white), an EPS file, and several other formats ready to use and sized for letter heads, invoices, web, etc. Plus, ready to use files which you'd provide to your print house....and that includes a PDF. lol

If I needed a logo, I think I'd hire JumboJ.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts