Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I don't know a lot (if anything) about what to look for in an external firewire drive. Does anybody have any suggestions of the "best" brand (ie best quality/reliability for buck?)

And also where is the cheapest place to get the one that is suggested?

Thanks

I think I'm looking for something around 80-120gigs and quick (like around 7200rpm) as well as firewire 800 as mentioned to hook up to my Rev A 17" Powerbook and I'm going to be using it as a secondary drive for storage and to do file modifications off of, as well as for a scratch disk. Oh yeah, and the smaller the better
...and of course I'd prefer to get something that matches my beautiful aluminum powerbook
lol...am I getting picky? and will this cost me a small fortune? lol

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I'll second Britnell's suggestion. LaCie external drives have served me well over the last 6 years.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The question I think we should ask is why would you need to purchase a Firewire 800 drive? Most video professionals are sticking with Firewire 400 drives right now...

Cheers,

RtC

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Because she invests in the future not the past.
R

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
FireWire 800 is significantly faster than FireWire 400, so if you have the money and a FireWire 800 port, you may as well get a FireWire 800 drive. Only makes sense to me. And like Robert pointed out, she will not only now, but later on as well, benefit much more from a FW 800 drive rather than a FW 400 drive.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Strange thing. I noticed that the Lacie drives say 400 but you can get 800 with an adaptor?? What does that mean? That the adaptor kicks the speed up a notch?

I was interested in the new porshe 160mb desktop drive or the new aluminum portable 80 gig drive. The portability seems nice but a litttttle more pricey.

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
I've been poking around the 'net today, researching for our next equipment grant proposal, and FireWire drives were at the top of my list to check out.

We had recently picked up two Lacie 120gb externals (FW400) - one was dead out of the box, but that didn't put us off. They seem to be working just fine (we replaced the dead one).

Many people don't realize that FireWire drives are nothing more than ATA drives in a box with a FireWire interface. You'd get better performance by just plugging another internal drive in your case, if you have the room.

Our Quicksilver 733s, I was surprised to find, cannot read internal drives larger than 130gb, necessitating a PCI ATA controller board be added for larger internal drives. :(

Nor do we have FW800 ports, so to make full use of a faster FW drive, we'd have to pick up a FW800 PCI board (the latest MacAddict magazine has a shootout, and recommends the OrangeMicro model).

While video editors may have been making use of FW400 drives, the success of that solution seems hit-and-miss. One must have the Oxford 911 chipset. A larger-than-2mb buffer also seems to be a requirement for not dropping frames if you're sticking with FW400.

Pamela, the LaCie FW 800 external drive looks to be just what you need, and they're fairly attractive, as hard drives go ;)

M

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Investing in the future is smart.. yes.. but over time.. not right when the technology comes out.. it will hit you in the pocket book and Firewire 400 is fine for most work environments...

Cheers,

RtC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts