Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best case (waterproof, shockproof, easy to use - doesnt interfere with operation...) for a new iPhone5?
Would love to hear your experiences...
I have been looking at the LifeProof case but it's $70+ - a bit pricy.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
I picked up an otterbox commuter, it's not waterproof but isn't as bulky as a waterproof case would be and provides excellent drop protection. I had the pervious version for the iPhone 4S and was very happy with it, and bonus got this one on sale from Costco for $28.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OtterBox vs LifeProof cases for iPhone5

I continue to do research on these and Otterbox is not guaranteed to be waterproof. The LifeProof one is... at least the case is guaranteed/ warranteed - not the iPhone (understandable, I guess). I seem to routinely drown electronics so really do want a waterproof case.

Actually you should have a look at the LifeProof one as it is not bulky at all... it is pricy though at $79.99. Still hoping to find something cheaper.

Thanks Paul!

·
Premium Member
23,510 Posts
OK, not waterproof but I have the Griffin Survivor. It seems bulky, but based on the size of the iPhone, I guess it's not bad (I came from an old Palm Treo, the iPhone is mothering huge...). While I haven't dropped the phone yet, I wouldn't expect much damage to the phone if I did, after watching their promo video.

I like the silicone grip for basic phone use. Sometimes it makes getting the phone into or out of a pocket a slight issue, the silicone is pretty "grabby". The top cover, the one that goes over the phone screen, can cover a bit too much of the screen at times. When you're trying to drag an app from one window to another, you need to get the very tip of your finger on the very edge of the cover for the app to move to the new window. I'm not a gamer but I do like puzzles and some of the ones with smaller elements can be tough to execute around the perimeter of the cover. I had people telling me they had issues hearing me while on a phone call, then a while back I saw the Apple iPhone ad talking about the mic on the back of the phone (between the camera & flash) that used ambient noise cancellation for better phone calls. Since then, whenever I make/receive a phone call I open the little silicone door for the camera & I've had no further issues with call quality. I'll probably just punch a hole through the silicone so I don't have to open the door anymore for calls. Speaking of the camera door, the little raised lip that you're s'pose to grab to pull the door open with can be a bit small at times.

I haven't used the belt clip.

Please note that the above are nits and not rants. I'm happy with the purchase & would recommend the case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.