Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any qualms with Best Buy coverage on Apple computers? I happen to be looking at an iBook for sale with a remaining warranty covered by Best Buy. I called Best Buy and they said all that is required to transfer owner and address information and, if there is any need for service, it should be taken in to any computer service repair shop, have it evaluated and then serviced. I don't think our computer shop here in Goose Bay would even look at an Apple computer, let alone an iBook. I would have to send it out. According to Best Buy, all would be covered. Is that enough to go on?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Best Buy would have to ship it out to be fixed too. And as far as I can recall, once you use it, it is done (that could be just for replacement though).

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
csonni, I wish you well with your extended search, but perhaps you should just order from Apple's refrehsed or refurbs? The guarantees are greater that you will get what you want, and the likelihood that the private sale, most likely from great distances, is very likely to disappoint.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never seen any refurb iBooks on Apple.ca. What I'm wanting to do is to get a used iBook to hold me over until possibly Fall/Winter when I will be ready to get myself a new MacBook/Pro. I've been waiting for LED display and I also don't want an aluminum case anymore. I treated my last PB so gingerly. I'd like the iBook because I won't worry as much about denting it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Those guys couldn't fix an iPod
Check out the consumerist

In all seriousness though , pray to the dear lord that your computer never breaks .....ever.

You will be brought to tears , but if they dont fix it in two months ( they will just send it back broken in 1month 3weeks ) your supposed to get a new one.

It took 47days and TWO trips to get a hard drive replaced on an Emachine

It also took 3months to get a motherboard replaced on a compaq
I blame HP though , but bestbuy did recieve the computer , "check it" and warrant it fixed.

I insist on not going anywhere till they test it , it takes him 6minutes to run paint on a 2.2ghz machine...."oops"

If theirs ANYWAY you can get applecare....do it

·
Registered
226 Posts
Apple replaced an "open box" unit I bought from Best Buy during the initial 1 year warranty period. Since the PowerBooks were no more...they replaced it with a MacBook Pro. I was impressed...
what problems were you having for them to do that?

Best Buy warranty only mirrors what the manufacturer warranty is. If you need repairs, they do it at their warehouse I believe

·
Registered
492 Posts
what problems were you having for them to do that?

Best Buy warranty only mirrors what the manufacturer warranty is. If you need repairs, they do it at their warehouse I believe
The unit was back to the Genius Bar three times for power-management issues (unit refused to charge, then eventually wouldn't even start up without reseting the PMU first). The first time they reset the PMU (like I couldn't do that myself...), the second time they replaced the power brick/plug, and the third time they replaced the logic board. No dice. When they started talking about replacing a power-board that sits off to the side of the motherboard I squacked a bit and they replaced the machine, even though it was bought at Best Buy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts